Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Drags are for Sissys
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to organize my fly lines, I have so many and I accumulate more every chance I get it seems. Every time I sold a line I eventually wished I hadn't; so no more selling of lines I don't think.

Was wondering how y'all leave your fly lines stored? Do you store them in large loops off of the spool to reduce coiling? .. or just leave them in the original packaging? or on the reel? in bags? or .... ?

How do you organize your lines, by line weight, grain weight, head length, shooting vs. mid bellies vs. longer lines ????

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I hear you Wayne. That CND GPS 7/8 you sold me is now with a speypages moderator which I really regret trading.

I try and clean my lines and then just keep them on line spools. I basically just throw them all into a big plastic see-thru container and keep a lid on it and out of sunlight.

One key is not to 'wind' the line on the spool. That will impart 1 turn into each loop. Instead I carefully wind the spool and let the line on the spool without imparting a twist. A speedier way is to use a cordless drill.

I'm curious if humidity levels affect the lines?

Preston

Need to organize my fly lines, I have so many and I accumulate more every chance I get it seems. Every time I sold a line I eventually wished I hadn't; so no more selling of lines I don't think.

Was wondering how y'all leave your fly lines stored? Do you store them in large loops off of the spool to reduce coiling? .. or just leave them in the original packaging? or on the reel? in bags? or .... ?

How do you organize your lines, by line weight, grain weight, head length, shooting vs. mid bellies vs. longer lines ????

·
loco alto!
2,983 Posts
I toss the packaging - find it bulky and inefficient. I'm not very into organizing stuff, but have enough lines that I do need a basic system to avoid frustration.

- full lines get coiled by a Struble line winder (handy thing), secured with pipe cleaner, labelled with a paper tag, and each line goes into its own quart ziploc. Running lines tend to tangle with pipe cleaners when multiple lines are thrown into one bag, hence individual ziplocs

- shorter thicker heads get wound or loosely coiled by hand, secured, tagged, then all heads of a particular type (scandi vs skagit vs shorthead, etc) get tossed in a single gallon ziploc. When that gets too full, the gallon ziploc gets subdivided into some other relevant category

All ziplocs then get tossed in a cardboard box. By natural process of use (like my LPs and CDs), those in high rotation stay near the top

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
each line goes into its own quart ziploc.
Same process as SSPey. I punch a hole or two into each Ziploc so the air easily escapes and they collapse flat. Coiled big rod lines (14' and 15') go into one pocket in my spey bag (fishpond), coiled small rod lines (13' and under) go in another pocket. I have maybe 12 lines total (probably more like 16 but 12 makes me feel more efficient).

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I usually keep the boxes and spools, since I often resell lines, and buyers prefer them, a little. I coil loose lines around a large soft drink bottle, then slide them off the bottle, secure with twist ties, write the data on a small piece of paper, and store in a ziplock bag. (Ziplocks that held fruit from a grocery store are easily washed, and are already punched with vent holes.)

·
Dom
3,121 Posts
Look into "Reel'e'GOOD" system. I used those spools for storing lines I often use, and use their winding spool to coil the lines loosely that will collect dust or sold.I I dont care for their reeling station, its easily done by hand. I also use ultra thin marker to mark my lines at the back end that way I know what line is what. Tiny numbers and letters are possible if you have stready hand. PU lines takes marker well, pvc not so well but its duable.

Here is the thing though...

I opted to minimize my lines and thats why I ended up with multi tip spey lines and few extra spools for sink tip lines and floaters for my single handers. All I need is on my reels now and no extra lines laying around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts