Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Enjoyed reading the posts on the history of and the manufacturing proceses of fly lines.
It triggered an issue which has bothered me for some time.....fly line identification.
I had a letter published in Trout and Salmon (UK) in October 2001, the gist of which was a plea to fly line manufactures to find a way of marking fly lines which made it easy to readily identify the properties of the line ie weight, floater, intermediate etc.
I was doing a lot more trout fishing then and had built up a collection of fly lines, but through my own fault I often lost track of their weights when regularly changing them over. I often eventually lost the little reel stickers that came with some lines and I just wasn't expert enough to tell from looking at lines what they were.
I had noticed very small print on electrical cable which had similar diameter to fly line, and suggested in my letter that I would be happy pay a bit more for a fly line to have this on my lines. My letter asked what manufactures thought of this, but no replies followed.
Is it simply technically impossible to achieve this?
We wouldn't buy a rod without the line weight stamped on it...seems strange that we continue to accept lines without it.
Mike

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,184 Posts
Not sure if they still do it, but Cortland used to mark their lazor lines with the small writing that you describe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts