Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the UK prices for spey profile lines going through the roof and the excellent work carried out by Peter-s-c on this forum, I have been making my own spey lines. I do this by splicing the running line from a weight forward to a selected weight of double taper(measured and weighed). I knot the lines together, covered in a length of braided monofil, whipped, and then I use heat shrink tubing over the top of this. I try to select a length of running line that gradually tapers into the cut double taper used for the belly and front taper.
My problem is that, while I know the double taper salmon lines have a strong core, I do not know the breaking strain of the running lines I am using. I know that I have used trout fly lines for fishing that have stated core strengths of 16 pounds breaking strain. This would not be suitable if I am using 20 pound breaking strain leaders for fish heavy tube flies in cold water.
Does anybody know if core strengths of fly lines are available anywhere on the net?

Any help is much appreciated; I'd hate to see the big one sail away with fly, leader, and the belly of my home made spey line!

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
I just saw a chart with this on it, all look for it again.

What I founds was what the core is so far.
15 lbs. braded mono for trout lines.
And the braded mono core goes up from there the highest I've seen was 35 lbs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brian,

Thanks. If you could remember where you found the chart - great.

Gary.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
I've ask a freind for his info on it, so look for something first part of the week.

J

·
0 Posts
Grampa Spey,

I didn't see anyplace on that link that showed braking strengths, let alone 90 pounds. I've been a Monic dealer for over ten years and I do not know of a single line in their catalog that has anything close to 90 pounds breaking strength. That particular link is several years old as a couple of those lines are no longer available. The line that I know of theirs that has a pretty good strength test is the Skyliner which isn't mentioned on that link, but has been around for about four years. I'd say the heavier weights of the Skyliner probably have about 50 lb test cores, though I suppose it could be higher than that. However, nothing in their literature, including that designed for dealers, mentions line test strength at all. At least I haven't been able to find anything.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
This info. is several years old however, it is probably current.

AFTMA lines - floating lines with braided core (most, if not all US manuf. use a braided nylon from Cortland)

3wt and lower = 12#

4wt > 7wt = 20#

8wt > 12wt = 30#

I would guess most of the spey lines are 30# core, this can be easily checked by stripping some coating and comparison to single hand AFTMA lines.

Regards,
Fred Krow

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Sorry I missed this earlier, otherwise I would have given you the strengths sooner.

The Rio lines are all made on a braided multiflament core. The 6/7/8 - 8/9/10 WindCutter is made with a 25-26lb core, and the 9/10/11 plus is made with a 30-32lb core. The MidSpey upto 9/10 has the 25-26lb core and above has the 30-32lb core. All GrandSpeys have the stronger core.

Hope this helps.

Tight lines
Simon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts