Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided I needed a break from my tying, and sometimes there is nothing like a nice cold ale...especially one with a label like this Michigan IPA named after the Two Hearted River on Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
The ale is as good as the label too.
Product Office equipment Barware Bottle Audio equipment

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like there's a lot going on on that desk. Are you sure you have time for a break??
Plenty of time for a break...I'm retired (y) Besides that, my tying desk is always in a state of controlled chaos.:)

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty cool set up my friend ... ale looks tasty!!
Looks like a few creations happening there.

Mike
Thanks Mike. One creation at a time. Those other flies are waiting to be mounted.
And yes...that ale is GOOD>

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s a damn good beer George! The flies are pretty great too 😉 How do you like tying on the new HMH? I’ve only heard good things about it so far
Goldru5h - Thanks for the compliment on the flies...and recognizing a good brew.🍺🍺🍺

As far as the vise in concerned, I have a history with the HMH TRV. My first one would hold a hook up to 9/0 or even 10/0, but nothing smaller than a size 8 or heavy wire 10. I sold it. The second one was great up to size 2/0 and nothing bigger. After a number of conversations with Jon Larrabee the owner and head honcho at HMH I simply learned that the second vise was the standard for what they fabricate, and as a small operation they really cannot customize each one for individual needs..so I sold the second one. I came into contact with another tyer on another site who happened to own and operate a machine shop, and he sent me pictures of his modified TRV that held hooks as large as 10/0 with no problems...and he ties small dries on that same vise. SO...I bought another one sent it to him and about 2 weeks later I had and now use the vise in the photo. I've tied size 20 Adams on this vise and the hook in the picture is a 4/0. I've tested this modified version and it will easily hold a 10/0 hook!!

That LAW Vise design is without a doubt the most ergonomic design I've used and HMH took that design and improved it to make it what I consider a much enhanced LAW without spending $3000 on a vise...which I would never do anyway. Just a little rich for my blood. The modifications made were very minor and really are not noticeable to anyone unless they compare it to a unchanged TRV.

Depending on what you tie, just remember the standard TRV's limitation on the range of hook sizes you use...basically 28's through 2/0.

Hope this long rambling reply helps.

George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts