Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Speypages members,

I've been a member on here for a few years now, but don't post much, mostly amuse myself reading fishing stories and looking for info.

A brief background on me as I've not posted for a while.....I am 33 y/o, going on my 10th season guiding fly fishermen in SW Montana. Grew up in MA fishing for freshwater bass around New England and spent many summers on Cape Cod chasing striped bass. When guiding starts to lighten up a bit in October, I usually try to plan an escape to try to catch an anadromous fish. I've fished the Grand Ronde, Snake, Clearwater, Salmon several times over the last few years and been up to Smithers a couple times with buddies to do some DIY fishing, predominantly on the Bulkley.

I recently got married and my wife and I are traveling to Scotland June 2-12 for our honeymoon.

The EU beat system is foreign to me as access to public fishing differs greatly here in Montana.

Fishpal.com has been a great resource to find more affordable access to water in Scotland, but differentiating one beat from the next as far as quality of water/runs/pools and time of year best to fish said rivers/beats has been a bit overwhelming.

Watching beats book up lately I just took a shot in the dark and booked the Gordon Brae beat 5 on June 7th on the River Spey for a day.

Anyone ever fished this beat?

We have quite a bit more time to explore, sight see, fish, hike, drink scotch, etc. during our time in Scotland, so my hope is to reach out to this community for any tips or suggestions for good places to do DIY fishing for trout and or salmon.

I am not against hiring a guide/ghillie, in fact I think it would be fun for a day, but cost has been the deterring factor thus far. The beat I booked on the Spey was ~$330US for 2 rods thru fishpal.com and as I understand it each beat has a ghillie. This same beat, same date, thru Frontier Travel they were asking $770/day (providing tackle, waders, boots, etc....).

Suggestions for cool places to see/explore are also welcomed and encouraged.

Thank you in advance for any and all help/suggestions!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Lucky you SearedSculpin!.Forget the Skagits and heavy tips.Full floaters, tapered mono leaders, maybe a 10ft poly.Dressed doubles in Silver Stoats Tail,Cascade,Allies.(dress them lean n skinny!,sparse tails on the Cascade n Allies.).Just in case, make some form of wading staff provision for your day, the Spey can be an interesting river to wade!.
Now at that time of the year the Sea Trout will be(or should be) in too.Those are best fished for as the light fades and into the dark(right through the night too),however as a let day rod ask the Ghillie there as you'll have to finish Midnight on your day.A 10ft 7 weight trout rod, floater,Silver Stoats and Stoats tails but bigger sized and tie the Silver Stoats on 1" and 1 1/2" aluminium tubes.Salmon by n large slow the flee and smaller presentation,Sea Trout,up the presentation and up the speed a bit too-oh and hold on!they will hit you quite hard!.
Enjoy,Yorkie.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Congratulations on your nuptials! I travelled to Scotland for my honeymoon 20 years ago and my new bride arranged time on the Dee...We retraced our steps this past summer (less the fishing as I had my two teenaged boys in tow).

Scotland is a special place. Make some memories; the fishing is a bonus.

Very best,

Chris

·
Paid subscriber
207 Posts
Had the family in Grantown last year and fished public water near town. Check out Mortimers of Speyside and the Cairngorms NP if you are looking for things to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts