Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know exactly what the Phil Rowley fly fishing equivalent of the famed Lindy Rig is? I would like to try it with a switch rod.

·
Banned
973 Posts
Good luck, it won't be fly fishing or spey casting but it'll be heavy. Lindy rigs won't be castable with a flyrod. Don't know about Phil Rowley but if he says you can cast that kind of weight he's never tried it.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
That was my question too Ard.

Please don't take offense but why would you do that?

Ard
Weighted flies on a dropper rig? Had some success with those bass fishing years back. A single hand 8wt rod and a 'bit ch' to cast along brush lines. But it worked ... just bring lots of extra flies ... you'll need them.
:eek:

A 'flutter drop,' is that a proper term?, worked pretty well down at Emigrant Lake south of Ashland. Doggie's doing their thing, me flinging, or more properly flopping the 'junk on bunk.' But it could be pretty rewarding at times.:smokin:

fae

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David1123

My understanding is its not a conventional Lindy Rig for spin fishing but a Lindy Rig equivalent especially designed for fly fishing only. Phil Rowley and Brian Chan are Stillwater fly fisherman that made some fly tying videos with Jack Dennis. Phil fly fish's for trout and other species like catfish, and walleyes. I think his version of the Lindy Rig is for fly fishing for walleyes. He talks about this on his website.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David1123

I'm thinking he might be using a full super fast sinking line with a buoyant fly, just keeping it off the bottom. But I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm thinking he might be using a full super fast sinking line with a buoyant fly, just keeping it off the bottom. But I don't know for sure.

thats a UK stillwater technique known as the 'washing line' - typically using a booby fly.

which is deadly for SMB, LMB and panfish because you can fish it as slow as you like.

i googled the rig - it uses a slip sinker so that the fish doesn't feel the weight when it picks up the bait.

i am going to guess he uses a weighted dropper on a sliding loop, though why he would ????

this is my guess :

http://slideinn.com/blog/2014/02/drop-shot-system-sliding-dropper-loop/

but instead of a unweighted fly, he uses three shot on a loop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts