Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thumbing through my Fly Fisherman magazine today and noticed an add in there by ESPN 2 advertising the Bassmaster Classic. The picture has a couple guys with baitcasters Bass fishing. Now I am not completely against other methods of fishing what so ever. I feel that people should do what they enjoy, I understand advertising is where these publications make there money, but it just seems kind of like a slap in the face for them to allow this advertisement in the self proclaimed "Leading Magazine of Fly Fishing".

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Hey, if whoever does the advertising for ESPN thinks an ad in Flyfisherman is really a good return on their investment, then by all means take their money. Do you really think Dana and Sean would say no to ESPN paying money to advertise a bass tourney on Speypages? I certainly hope not! Hell, I wouldn't hold it against them if they had bait and tackle companies placing ads.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, if whoever does the advertising for ESPN thinks an ad in Flyfisherman is really a good return on their investment, then by all means take their money. Do you really think Dana and Sean would say no to ESPN paying money to advertise a bass tourney on Speypages? I certainly hope not! Hell, I wouldn't hold it against them if they had bait and tackle companies placing ads.
Great point Doc. Like I said I really don't have a problem with anybody who fishes that way what so ever I just thought it was kind of ironic.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I disagree with the good doctor...

As a Spey Pages sponsor I wouldn't be all that happy to see a bass tournament or bass tackle advertised on Spey Pages. My feelings have nothing to do with not liking this type of fishing. In fact in a past life I fished several pro bass tourneys and still could be ready to hit the tournament trail in about 3 or 4 hours.
The thing that makes Spey Pages unique is it's only about spey fishing and the tackle that goes with it. It has never been a general fishing board and I hope it never will be. There are plenty of other forums that are about other types of fishing or other types of fishing tackle. I think the people that participate here, come to this forum to talk spey casting and spey fishing. Hard core spey, if you will.

·
Registered
663 Posts
my 2 pennies worth

I use to get a few of the fly fishing magazines. I bought them for the fly fishing not for bass fishing. I use to be the hard core bass fisherman when I was younger then I picked up a fly rod and its been the poor house ever since. I just got my first spey rod and can't wait to get out there and play with it. If this sight was to go towards bass fishing where would I learn about spey casting\fishing.:confused: :eek: :tsk_tsk:

Dan

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use to be the hard core bass fisherman when I was younger then I picked up a fly rod and its been the poor house ever since.

you must not have been that hardcore of a bass fisherman. I was fishing with my brother last weekend on the delta. He has at least ten grand invested in bass gear.:chuckle:

·
Banned
974 Posts
I was a bait caster/spinner until the early 80's. I fished a lot with a friend from high school and college who went to a different law school than I did. It was Davd Whitlock's Fly Fishing for Bass video that did it for us. We each bought fly rods, for me it was a 8'9" Orvis Boron 7 wt. and we fished the lakes in southern Illinois for Large Mouth. We loved flopping those fly lines, we did not know how to cast then (I still may not), and loved when those bass grabbed our flies. Over that winter we read about trout fishing with fly rods. Steelheading came to me later.

Still love those smallies; these days it is usually with a two-hander and swung streamer.

We all start fishing at different times. Like many, it was with my Dad using a bobber and a worm. It has been a journey, one of which I hope continues for a while. :smokin:

- David

·
Registered
293 Posts
Most FFmags - save for original offerings such as The Drake - have gone downhill substantially in the last decade, FFM leading the way. The amount and type of advertising is over the top, and original, quality content just isn't there. I think that if you took a poll of "where people get FF info" it used to be FF mags and books and now it's swung towards the internet. For that reason I think FF mags will struggle in the future. I am not surprised that FFM had such an advertisement as their market will probably move more towards the cross-over fisherman (spinning guy who flyfishes occasional or wants to learn to flyfish) since the hard-core folks are getting their info off the internet.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Guess I will have to talk to Dana about rethinking our new video idea 'Baitcasters gone Wild'. Sinktip is going to be bummed.

-sean

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Does this mean my new series of "baitcasters gone wild" inspired flies (the A Cup, B Cup, C Cup and Arkansas DDD Cup) will not be featured in the next DVD ???? :( Damn!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
"self proclaimed "Leading Magazine of Fly Fishing".

flyfisherman magazine hasn't lead anything in decades .

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
you must not have been that hardcore of a bass fisherman. I was fishing with my brother last weekend on the delta. He has at least ten grand invested in bass gear.:chuckle:
And that probably doesn't include the cost of the boat, 200 hp out board motor, trailer, new Chevy Tahoe to pull, etc., and etc.:eek:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Does this mean my new series of "baitcasters gone wild" inspired flies (the A Cup, B Cup, C Cup and Arkansas DDD Cup) will not be featured in the next DVD ???? :( Damn!
WHOA!:saevilw:

If that's the case I suggest we all 'mass' at the Canadian Boarder and .......:lildevl:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi

I,d have to echo Poppy's post- I really enjoy the focused focus (<obviously not an English major:)) of the Speypages. Nothing to do with being exclusionary/cliquish or snobbery, it's simply refreshing to participate in a board where pretty much every post is "on topic" from a user perspective:).

In my neck of the woods , crossover anglers- some % fly, some % other methods are the majority. What is interesting is that a vast majority of the fly fishing is done with tactics that mimic gear methods - cast and strip with lure type patterns or trolling.

Fly Fishing mags are in biz of being in biz- so it makes sense they concentrate their content and efforts in that regard.

Would be nice to see Dana win the Lottery and philanthropically publish a full up Spey mag- oh wait he does,nt have too - we have the Speypages:)))

I learned to fish as an 8 year old kid in Scotland with a fly rod . Native Brown Trout in burns. 40 odd years later,and a detour into a passion for Warmwater fly fishing later, fishing with any other approach still seems a bit alien and not something I pursue:).

As long as folks respect each other chosen form of addiction ,and respect for the fish and fisheries, is a primary concern, for me it,s all good.

Will

·
Registered
640 Posts
Interesting discussion about magazines--

For me the primary result of the decline in quality of magazine content is that I don't subscribe to any. I'll look through them on store shelves and only buy if there's an article valuable enough that I want a copy of it. For instance, if the May FFM actually has the article on sink-tips that shares the research from the Fly Fishing Research page (Pauli, Keelin, et al), I'll buy a copy.

This forum is worth well more than any subscription to a magazine, and I'm happy to send Dana the money. Certainly the internet is more responsive and interactive than reading a magazine, though the intelligent member must judge the quality of the source here just as much as in magazines.

Is it possible that bass anglers and fly fishermen are not mutually exclusive groups? Maybe BASS advertising in FFM is effective. Somebody sold them the space...either the sales pitch was convincing or it's an expieriment.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have no problem with "cross-over" advertising if it keeps the fly fishing magazines going.

As far as this particular ad was concerned, I didn't even notice the fisherman was holding a baitcasting rod until this thread was posted, but I looked and he was.

As an aside, it was a series of articles by Dave Whitlock run in Bassmaster magazine in about 1980 that taught me how to spin deerhair and tie bass bugs. What I learned in those Bassmaster articles I use today when tying Bombers and Rat-Faced McDougals for fly fishing for Atlantic salmon.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
S-P-E-Y P-A-G-E-S
I agree,, if it wasn't about all things spey i doubt I'd subscribe each year as a number of other boards would do. Keep it Spey.
As for magsazines? I can take them or leave them although I've been getting the Atlantic Salmon Journal for the last 15 years as a paid member of ASF. Best mag there is pertaining to that species.
I was pretty excited when Canadian FlyFisher started up but interest has waned after repeated attempts for a story to be done on PEI has so far met with a brick wall and a sore head:Eyecrazy:
Not holding my breath for CFF to set up camp here on the Island any time soon.
Salmon Chaser

1 - 20 of 26 Posts