Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon gentlemen,
To those of you who fish a lot of tube flies, I am curious as to what type of box you use to hold your secret weapons. I have been using one of the 6 compartment clear plastic jobies that just about every company makes, however everytime I open it I fear the worst as any gust of wind may send the flies into the drink minus line and leader, especially the marabou ones. I was hoping some of you may have some suggestions for helping me solve my problem.
Thanks for the help,

Mike

·
Registered
913 Posts
Mike

My absolute favorite for small flies (up to 1.5" or 2" if put in diagonally) is the C&F Design 8 compartment box with clear plastic over the compartments. The other side of the box has several rows of the "micro slit" foam that holds the hooks.

I wish they made one with larger compartments for my larger tube flies. For those, I've just been using small "snack" size zip lock bags for the flies. My hooks are in the small C&F box.

Good question. I'll be interested in what other people use.

Bill

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill

That is good to hear. I just bought one of the large C&F boxes with the micro slits on top and bottom for my standard hooks and it is the best box that I have ever used. I know the box that you are talking about and will check it out next time I'm in the local shop.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
475 Posts
I too use plastic 6(and 4) compartment boxes - most of my tubes are popsicle style marabous, I place them in short sections of oversized drinking straws and find that this solves the wind problem - hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have used the Orvis Adjustable box, which was good for a couple of seasons, but this year the latches on both broke. I have a new concept I'm trying. My wife's friend works in a hospital and she brought me some clear plastic tubes about 2" in diameter in sizes from 6" to 2', plus you can cut them to size.

I intend to use them primarily for storage on our trip into the Dean this year, but I will use them when I'm fishing from the boat as I will only carry 2 or 3 in my vest.

As well these are awesome for carrying man-sized Intruders.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Here is another with some of my Intruders

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The tubes are also great for dry tube flies...

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Kush - nice tubes! Have you tried tying intruders with rhea? I have been tying up Glasso style speys on waddingtons with varying shades of self dyed pink rhea. When I get things correct with the didgital, I will try and attach some shots. I have been encouraging [email protected]&Y to find a source for rhea for those of use up north - there are at least 3 internet sources for the guys in the US. If you have not yet used rhea you can contact me for some samples.Sorry guys I have side tracked off the original thread somewhat - blame it on Ed!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Beau,

Your mailbox is full - delete some old ones - so I can answer you :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Guys, I hate to be ignorant, but what's an intruder. I heard the name at the Sandy River Clave, and I've looked for a recipe on the net with no success. Does anyone have a recipe or photo? Thanks

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
FG, several posts on this fly.

On the top of the page is a series of button options (members, etc.) one is search. Hit this and type in: intruder. You'll get all the posts where this fly has come up. Including some great photo's by Tyler (aka Kush).
fae

Bill, you're right; we shouldn't 'encourage him.' But the cats out of the bag now.
:hehe:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kush,
The tubes look like a great idea for carrying your flies, especially if you know exactly the couple of flies you will be fishing. Two questions for you though:
1. Are the tubes waterproof?
2. What do you do when the fly at the very end of, or if both ends open, the middle of the tube is screaming to you "Fish me, Fish me" :)??

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
MIke,

The tubes are waterproof, the cap seal is very tight.

I will admit that I have not yet used these tubes "on the water". My plan is to use the longer ones as storage, especially on a fly-in trip like the Dean. I will carry a few in my regular box - or one of the short tubes and can carry more in my boat bag, in case I need to replace any.

The tubes take up little space, they will not crush the flies, I think it will work very well!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kush,
The tubes are definitely a cool idea. Keep me posted as to how they work out for you once you try them.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Mike
Think of a safety pin(diaper pin ?) and it might (?) help you picture my tube box making instructions
Now take a fly box and glue a strip of hardwood(into which you've placed pieces of piano wire to slide the tubes onto) into one side of the box.Onto the opposite side of the bottom of the fly box, fix another piece of wood into which you've drilled some holeswhich are slotted to the top edge to form a sort of "C" ,or hook,to hold own the piano wire tips.Slide one tube onto each piano wire and bend it down to hook under the "C"Ya can take'em off one at a time and (as i have),NOT loose the boxes contents as they slide out into the water !

Hope this helps
Brian

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Brian,
Your fly box for tubes sounds like an intersting idea. I may have to do some tinkering over the summer and see what I can come up with along the lines of your box.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Brian, sounds Way Cool! A new Cottage Industry for you?

Actually, this may be something you could sell commercially.
fae

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The safety pin tube fly box is a design that has been around in Europe for a long time. Trey Combs makes reference to it in his book in his section on tube flies. As well, I've seen them advertised in British Magazines.

Wheatley also makes tube fly boxes. Their design uses foam, one type is simply a row of holes drilled into the foam, which is glued to an end of the box - the heads of the tubes are simply stuck into the holes. Their other design is basically a slot in a strip of foam and the tube is pushed down into it lengthwise.

There are a few sites on the web where you can see examples of these boxes. Since they are not sponsors I will not put a direct link to them - but if you care to type the URLs (add www. 1st) in yourself here are a couple - the first is in French - but the photo of the boxes is right there.

.nlap.com/francais/boites/text/wheatley_tube_fly.html
and
traflyfish.com/equipment/wheatley/c_angsp.htm

I must admit that recently I have been considering making something along these lines as well. Having the tubes loose in a box has not been satisfactory, especially when standing in the river in a wind!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts