Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started tying these. What's the favored carrying method?

·
Mossback Hillbilly
27 Posts
Wheatley Boxes w/ large # 5 clips, for me.

local

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
You can carry them is whatever style of fly box you prefer that is suitable for large flies. They just take up more room tht other flies when tied on the large, long shank hooks that are traditionally used for dee flies.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. my main concern was for the horizontal set wings. Do they bounce back from being smooooshed on one side in a wheatley clip box. I could do a test but I can't seem to bring myself to put one of my precious in :eek:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Phil

Went through the same drama a few years back. large long shank hooks take up lots of room, in the large clip wheatley's you will only get 3 rows per side but still thats alot of flies at least enough for an extended days fishing. and yes, they seem to fish just fine out of a wheatley box. I have some that have been stored for years in the box as I seem to get a bit out of control when tying for the spring season, when they hit the water they still look awsome. Good to hear that you have taken up Dee style flies.

Brian

·
Registered
378 Posts
The best box for the job that I know of is the FLY SAFE saltwater box. Holds the flies upright and alternated so the wings don't get crushed.

Brian

·
Registered
498 Posts
fly box

I have two of the Fox Boxes and I also like them, but I would like to know what the Fly Safe is. I tried a search for it and could never find one. Field and Stream site says it comes from Apothecary Products Inc. But I could not find anything accept pill boxes on their site.

Skilly

·
Registered
378 Posts
Skilly this is by far the best fly box that I have found. It holds barbless flies tight, is super light, prevents hook rusting, is well made and protects the most delicate of flies better than anything that I have seen. A fellow by the name of Jim makes them in Florida for the Tarpon guides. This is a hard to find item so few stores have them. If you cannot find one down your way I always have a stock of customized ones at my shop. Call me at 1-888-822-3474 and I will send you a photo if you like.

Brian Niska

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
194 Posts
C&F Saltwater box...

Best i've seen yet, tho that really isn't saying much. with the slotted foam, holds the flies upright, with space for the "delicate" hackles to reside with out matting and squishing, plus they protect wings as well. and they're water proof (which means you DON'T put damp flies into the box, let 'em dry first...)...
feiger

·
Registered
239 Posts
I use the CF waterproof boxes with solid slit foam for my full-dress Atlantic Salmon flies, Large Spey flies, and Dee-style flies. Very dependable, foam doesnt' mar the hooks, and the flies are well seated, and the wings don't get crushed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fly Safe Fly Boxes

Fly Safe is a trade name for a really neat and unique saltwater fly box. The boxes are made of tough plastic and allow insertion of flies in the lid and the bottom. Instead of foam or metal clips the guy who makes them uses a soft plastic groove running the length of the box, the grooves alternate on the top and the bottom. I use them for my bonefish flies but he also makes a larger box suitable for your spey flies. I should be able to tell you where to buy them next week.

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
Here is the information on the maker and contact info for the flysafe fly boxes.

Jim Doyle
Angling Innovations
6631 NW 38th Terrace
Gainesville, FL 32653
352-338-9091 office/fax
[email protected]

Regards,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts