Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hal,
I too used to use maxima ultragreen down to 4# for fishing the rivers around me in southern ontario, and for a long time this was the staple leader material. About 5 years ago I switched to using Siglon fluorocarbon and 2 years ago I switched again to the new Dai-Riki fluorocarbon. My diameter of line stayed the same, but I went from Maxima = 4lb to Siglon = 6lb, and now I primarily use Dai-Riki = 8.5lb and sometimes 11.5lb in dirtier water and exclusively when I am swinging flies, all without changing my knots. I use an improved clinch with approx. 5-6 turns, and sometimes a loop knot, and rarely if ever have my knots come loose. The only time I have found my knots to slip is when using the brand new RIO fluoroflex which requires a better holding knot as RIO has a higher fluorocarbon rating and "higher rating = smoother surface = increased knot slippage".

Anyway, the point of all this is stronger leader line used; more fish landed; more fish landed more quickly; and most importantly: way more fish hooked!!

Give the fluorocarbon another try as I'm sure it will increase your success, but be careful what you buy. There is a lot of crap on the market, but you certainly can't go wrong with Dai-Riki (the new stuff).

Mike

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mike B

Will have to give the Dai-Riki carbon a try. I was not impressed with the Rio Fluor Carbon Plus this spring. Break offs right away on the first run which did not happen with the maxima 4lb. Using improved clinch and triline knots. Will try some new knots and the Dai Riki.

If problems again, I have lots of maxima green in the contingency backup supply. :chuckle:

Hal

·
Registered
235 Posts
Maxima by far....

The strongest per diamter, most sensitive, longest lasting, and least memory of all tippet materials. I will take it over flourocarbon anyday. Anyways, I never had problems with Berkley Vanish and will continue to use it. ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have heard bad things about Vanish, but never tried it myself.

Don't think you can go wrong with maxima though. Been my primary leader material for 20 years now.

:D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Rio

I have been using Flourocarbon for tippet material for a couple of years now and have had some good as well as bad experiences with it. Most of the problems have been related to knot strength which could have been my problem as opposed to the material. However I have never had any good experiences with Vanish or Umpqua Flourocarbon. Even after I learned to use the right knots and how to tie them. Rio, both the original as well as the plus has been great to me so far along with P-line. All I can suggest it using a well tied knot and make sure that you lube the heck out of it before you pull it snug. For tying tippet to the butt sections I use a back to back uni knot and for tying flies on to the tippet I use a duncan loop for all my swinging and streamer flies. Good Luck and Tight Lines!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I will be starting to practice my fluro carbon knots for sure with several new knots.

Thanks for the input every one.

However I will have a good contingency backup supply of maxima green just in case.:hehe: :hehe:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
flouro

i have been using flourocarbon [ UMPQUA DECIEVER] on bass carolina rigs for about4-5 yrs and have not had one problem. been using off and on for seelies last couple of yrs. when not using it i am using maxima as i have forever. i have noticed no proplems. i use a non-slip loop knot for both ends.
beau

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rio Flouro

A little after the fact here. I think Rio has reformulated their Flouro tippets in the last couple of years. It used to kink and slip really bad and I started using so European brands that have a softer mix. Rio and Segar sent me a bunch of Fluoro and mono before I went to the Competition this summer and they both worked great. Almost a night and day difference from the old days when it was so brittle. So I'll give them both a thumbs up. Apparently somebody has been paying attention. Most major brand names now do a great job in knots, reflectivity, abrasion resistance, and specific gravity.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts