Spey Pages banner

Floodtide, Benchill, Photobomb, Feather help

3K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  sandinista 
#1 ·
This forum has been off-the-hook (hope I used that term proper) for the last month. Tyers just pushing the envelope with their creativity and feather manipulation. Pretty cool.

I went back to tying up an old nemesis. The Blue Charm is a lovely fly but is a pattern that I seem to always goof on. This attempt was no different. I so wanted it to look nice as it was to be a gift but I just kept grimacing at it til my daughter "photobombed" the fly....then I laughed. Hey, it's a pattern to be fished, might as well enjoy its imperfections.

Started working on Kelson's Benchill for the Fly Fishing Collaborative wallet:

That above Benchill has actual feathers from Bill McMillan's tying room given to him by Billy Chinn, so it's got "that" going for it if one geeks out over that stuff.

Last year, someone gifted me a few wonderful feathers to tie up a Floodtide. I finally got around to it but now have forgotten who sent it to me.:eek: For this I am extremely embarassed. So please remind me who showed me this kindness so that I can be properly grateful.

This pattern was tied on a Brent E custom iron and I started it during family game night.

Personally, the Floodtide is a very difficult fly to tie in hand. There were moments that I thought "If I had a vise, this fly would already be done". I'm glad it's over and I hope whoever gets the fly in their Fly Fishing Collaborative wallet will fish it right into a steelhead's face so he has no choice but to chomp down on all its pretentiousness:saevilw:

Cheers,
Adrian

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally, the Floodtide is a very difficult fly to tie in hand. I would agree, but as always you masterfully pulled it off!

Beautiful job on both Adrian, working with fluffy feathers is tough enough with a vise, I just don't know how you do it. 3 pairs of JC doesn't make it any easier either! Nice man! CJ

#5 ·
Thank you, Ben! Sorry about the forgetfulness...:eek:. I had it narrowed down to four guys:chuckle: it was either Catskill John, SLSS, Northspey, or Pork. I have another plume for my personal fishing Floodtide...gotta take a break from that pattern for now, though.

John, it was actually the jungle cock and that stupid golden pheasant sword feather that drove me to drink. :D Those old dudes might as well have added a young shoot of greenheart to be married with the Amherst.:saeek:

You guys are kind, Cheers.

#9 ·
Well I guess I'm gonna have to break down and buy a wallet with the hope that this guy is in there, let's just pray none of my simpletons come back my way! Haha As I said earlier this is one of my favorite patterns and you have inspired me to give it a shot... Now to just buy some more Amherst in the hopes it will marry!

Thanks for sharing, it's always a real treat to look at this... Although the best part is not the main focal point of your photo IMHO

#15 · (Edited)
Chase, I believe it's dyed turkey gifted to me. Just like your flies that you gift to friends; and a big thanks to this community that keeps giving to a silly bloke like me. There are guys on here that send me hooks, feathers, links, stories, fish reports, and encouragement (mostly behind the scenes)...one tyer even built a beautiful fly with my name attached:Eyecrazy:...and I know I'm not the only recipient, for I know that sharing has been a large part of Speypages. Keep it up guys.

Of course those will skate, Todd, as long as they hitch a ride on your Li'l Wang!:hihi:

-Bill
:hihi::chuckle: Thanks for that laugh Bill!

Adrian, I like the floodtide in all its gaudiness, but the benchill is perfect. I hope you plan on getting it wet. After loosing the twilight spey Aggers gifted me to a very large steelhead Friday, I've been trying to come as close as I can with the feathers I have on hand. Its a tad maddening - even with a vise. You know, with excellent fine motor skills like you have, a few more years in med school and you'd be one fine surgeon (using 21st century tools of course - no old school in surgery!). Tight lines my friend.
So sweet that you got grabbed on a gifted fly, Rich! As far as the motor skills, I actually think I'm terrible and unsteady. When I was a kid I was doing something with my dad (who is a retired surgeon) and he said my hands were too shaky and I would never make a good surgeon. I never held that against him because most surgeons probably don't get to fish as much as I do:devil:

Cheers and thank you all!

#12 ·
Of course those will skate, Todd, as long as they hitch a ride on your Li'l Wang!:hihi:

Adrian, stunning ties as always!

I often thought, when looking at your amazing flies over the years, "How does he ties those in hand?"

After tying a few in hand myself, that question rings truer than ever, and I now have an even deeper appreciation of what goes into your beauties!!

Thanks,

-Bill

#13 ·
Adrian - you scored big with that Floodtide and the feathers for it. It's been a long hackle pattern on my list to attempt since first eye-balling one dressed by Greg S. Hunt. Like you mention it's a difficult one and it was the Amherst slips in the wing which did me in as usual.

Totally geeked over the Benchhill and tracing its way back to Mr. McMillan's desk.

Immense display in skills.

#14 ·
incredible skill

Adrian, I like the floodtide in all its gaudiness, but the benchill is perfect. I hope you plan on getting it wet. After loosing the twilight spey Aggers gifted me to a very large steelhead Friday, I've been trying to come as close as I can with the feathers I have on hand. Its a tad maddening - even with a vise. You know, with excellent fine motor skills like you have, a few more years in med school and you'd be one fine surgeon (using 21st century tools of course - no old school in surgery!). Tight lines my friend.

#23 ·
Needles ain't so terrible, Matt. Just think, we get poked with our own hooks every now and again:D

Mike, thanks Brother... those girls are always pining for attention. Saw a sign with a girl that said "Pay attention to me when I'm ignoring you" :p

Jin, you are one of my inspirations, sir. Thank you.

#19 ·
Yeah, I think its turkey marabou, Chase. I know AOFeathers has some on his site and it looks similar, but I could be wrong. I don't know my bird plumes so well, if they give it to me and call it Chick-fil-A plumes that Pryce-Tannant used, I'd probably fall for it.:hihi:

#25 ·
I'm late to this party and almost missed this post - sick fleas as per usual from Mr Adrian...the floodtide is over the top I hope it gets to swim. Did you double up on the BM for the blue charm?...a simple pattern which I agree is difficult to nail but I'm hard pressed to see any "goofs" on that one! Thanks for the visuals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.