Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have been playing around with Rios 650 g. skagit line since christmas. Mostly on the grass at the park since the rivers have been blown out for the last few months! Anyway I was looking at the full floating skagit line . Has anyone figured out what kind of front taper the full floating version has? I want to rig up some kind of a floating tip for the skagit line that I have, so the other day I took the front 16 feet of a 9 wt. tricolor spey attached this to the 10' cheater and then to the main body, with a 15' leader I could really zing this line across the soccer field but the tip seemed to whip hard to the right or the left just as the turnover occured and the fly would land right angled to the target (and far enough off target to be troubling). It seemed that there is maybe way too much turnover energy for this tip. Has anyone come up with a good floating tip for the 650g. skagit line?

Best,

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have also used the front taper from a 10/11 Accellerator (it is 15' after removing the "Power Hinge") and I have been pleased with it.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I have sold quite a few Rio WC floating tips in sizes 6/7/8-10/11/12 for people to use with their skagit lines. So far no one has complained that these tips didn't work well.

It is a simple matter to weigh the various floating tips to get a close match with the sinktips that work well with your skagit line.

Portlandspey do you know how much that TriColor tip weighs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
A Floater

Portlandspey,

Assuming that you are talking about sustained-anchor casts I would not judge a line for fishing based on its performance on grass. Some of that whacky action has to do with the fact that you are casting on grass. Grass casting is a good way of practicing your sustained-anchor casts, however, as the name implies these cast work best with a lot of “stick” of the line, leader and fly to the surface of the water. On grass I’m sure you have noticed how much snaking around the anchor does – it just won’t stay put. The result is that when you execute your forward cast, your d-loop and anchor probably won’t be lined up very well. As you stated, once you get that massive belly on its way it is quite impressive how far it goes, the whole time with the fly/ball of yarn erratically trying to follow. A proper grass leader can help with the “stick” problem a bit. Also, executing the casts very slowly and with a fraction of the power of water casting.

Regarding a floating tip with Skagit lines, I built and fished several this Autumn. The exercise taught me that if I built a floating-tip with an exact weight and length to my sinking-tip and tried to cast a small floating fly I had “stick” issues similar to what you have described. Increasing the length of the tip helped. Ultimately, I chose to use a full floating Windcutter for my skating/waking presentations – it cast well with sustained-anchor technique and was easier to affect the desired presentation than a thicker Skagit style line.

John

·
Registered
236 Posts
Airflo Scandi Head

You might wish to take a look at the new Airflo Scandinavian Shooting Head. New for 2006, the Airflo Scandi Head is designed as a floating complement to the Airflo NW 2-Hand Head (Skagit Head).

The taper of the new Airflo Scandi Head is designed to optimize flight time when presented with very limited space for a Spey back cast. Although not designed to throw Intruder-style flies (the Airflo Skagit Head works best here), the Airflo Scandi Head will launch standard size (#2-#6) greaseliners and wet flies as far as you might want to cast.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Vision Ace shooting heads also work well with the Airflow Skagit heads as a light /heavy pairing of shooting heads. Allows one reel to be loaded with a shooting line such as Airflow tactical running line and alternate the two heads. Vision Ace head is used with a 14 foot Airflow Polyleader in floating or various sink rates and 4-6 feet of tippet for a 18-20 foot leader. The long leader serves as the anchor. The Airflow Skagit is used with 6-8 feet of T14 with weighted flies or 10-12 feet of T14 with unweighted flies.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Etacata said:
The fly shop in Welches makes floating tips for skagit lines.

cb
Etacata,
I love that shop, they have a great website too. I always try to stop in when I am heading to Wildwood for a summer steelhead adventure. Have you fished these and any comments on them?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
So far every appropriate floating tip has worked w/Skagits

Thanks to Chris Andersen at Sage, I got an early heads up re using the floating tips with my Skagits and my Sage rods last summer.

All of my Rio 15' size 6,7 and 8 floating tips have worked with my Skagit 450 and my 5120 and 6126. My old GS 7/8 floating tip works with my 550 and 7141.

With my Skagit 650 and TCR 9129, my Rio 9 and 10 weight floating tips have worked including my old Accelerator 9/10 floating tip, that I borrowed from my son who has the line now.

The best leader for me with these combos has been Rio's 15' steelhead with a couple of feet of tippet on the fishing end. If I go to a shorter leader, I will sometimes snap off the flies with the heavier rods.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Last fall Bob Meiser was working on several prototype floating lines for skagit casting. I don't know how far he has gotten? The one he lent me worked beautifully.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts