Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be floating the Chetco at the end of march and I am looking for any information on the lower floats. Specifically how technical are they and are there any danges that I should watch out for or are there any drifts to be avoided.
thanks
mike

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hey Mike,

The Chetco is a breeze all the way, nothing technical anywhere...But I would fish above Redwood.

... Getting a bit late in the game for the Chetco...I'd fish the forks of the Smith <> Or better yet the NUmp.

PM me if you wish.

Meiz

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I have to add a second here to the Bobster's comments. The only 'fish' in the lower river will be 'downers' at this point in time. As far as floating is concerned, doubt you'll find many runs that will/would even reach Class II.

This river is 'Mr. Mellow.'
Fred

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey All,
Speaking of the Chetco! Have any of you fished or floated the upper reaches for late winter/spring steelhead? A few years before the Biscuit fire my wife and I hiked the Chetco Gorge section in the Kalmiopsis wilderness. It was late june and we had stopped to eat lunch at one of the last pools before the Gorge. My wife was casting a jughead caddis (we had caught some nice trout to 18" the night before while camped at the Slide creek confluence) when all of a sudden from the bottom of this 20' deep pool comes a silver flash and the little 5 wt. Christy was casting is tip top in the water and just about bowed in a circle. The steelhead was chrome bright and probably in the 10-12 lb range. The jughead caddis was tied on a light wire mustad number 8 curved nymph hook and as soon as she pressured the fish it straigthened right out. Our hiking shedule didn't allow for any more investigation of the pools in that area. And at our next campsite at the other end of the gorge the water was really low and we found only 12"-14" resident trout.

Does the Chetco have a spring run of summer fish? My best guess was that it could have been a late winter fish that had waited offshore for the last of the snowmelt late spring freshets and pushed all the way up to the gorge water. Ever since that encounter we have always wondered about a spring run of fish that push high into the watershed and over summer in the gorge itself. Any of you guys ever run into these fish?

Best,

Portland Spey

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Portlandspey,

Those were late Winter fish....

The Biscuit fire had tragic effects on the upper watershed riparian of the Chetco.

It'll take many years to heal <> And it will...

...But it's best to let this water rest now.

Just my opinion...Meiz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts