Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say I am not affiliated with anyone. I'm a novice speycaster. Aaron (speybum) got me hooked last winter. I didn't catch any fish but I had a lot of fun trying.

Last week I purchased a CND Custom 1307 and I had a chance to try it and Rio WC 6/7/8 w/tips on the skagit on Saturday. I caught several pinks and just had a blast. I was able to cast the sink tips 3, 6, 8 much more successfully than the floating tip.

I've read that some recommend the long delta, or the Rio midspey (6/7) for a floating line with this rod. Has anyone here had experience with floating line options with this rod? What do they recommend?

I just have to say. I love the CND 1307.

Thanks,

dave

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Talk to Speybum

Dave

Aaron should be able to get you the right lines to try. I have the 1308 and like the RIO 7/8 midspey.

At the last Sandy Clave the 1307 was very popular and doing well with lines up to the XLT 7/8. That was too heave for the rod to handle the entire head, but it was doing well to about 80 feet.

Talk to Aaron and give some lines a try. Better yet bring it to the Carnation mini clave Sept 20 and try the lines on the rod to see what works best for you.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have e-mailed Nobuo to ask him what lines have been successfully used in Japan as the rods have been in circulation for a few years there. I will post his answer - or maybe Cherry Pick will just chime in here directly.

As I said earlier I have not really spent time with these rods actually speycasting. I did spend 10 days using them as overhead rods while chironomid fishing a favourite Cariboo lake. What a blast fighting trout on the rods, these were stillwater trout and I can only imagine what river fish would do.

As for speycasting with slow progressive action rods, the key is not to overpower your casting stroke. As a caster who learned on faster "European" action rods I clearly recall my first afternoon with the original Sage 7136! I could not make a cast without tailing the loop, being a big strong guy I naturally assumed that it needed more power - of course that just made it worse!

I recall sitting down on the banks of the Morice and seriously considering chucking the whole useless rig into the river. I think the only thing that stopped me was that it was Dana's rod :tsk_tsk:. After calming down and thinking for a bit I decided to let the rod do the casting - similar to what I did with my 18' Bruce & Walker - and wouldn't you know it cast like a dream.

I have a feeling that casting the 13' 6/7 Expert will require the same approach. Slow down, keep the flex in the rod and let the rod do its thing. As I have yet to line my pair of 1307s I will remain interested in what others find successful.

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
With sink tips you have to be a bit more precise often times in hitting your D loop to get the cast off. With the floating line, you have a little bit more room for error because it floats. I suggest you take advantage of this room for error and as Kush mentioned, try slowing the cast down a little to see if it makes a difference.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I really like the Midspey 6/7 for this rod, as does another guy who has been hooking summer runs on that setup recently whose name I won't name :devil:

It provides a sufficient load to throw for distance yet does not make for a heavy feel. This amount of load accomodates all of the casts including off-hand with a well matched feel. Some like heavier lines on the rod, and it certainly does handle it for such a lightweight rod in the hands.

We tried the 6/7 XLT on it at the Sandy clave and it felt good, others use a heavier long delta on it and the heavier grains makes it cast like a much bigger rod especially with a snap-t.

As others have said it's best to try to find your preference by trial, but FWIW I love the 6/7 midspey on it. Good luck with your experimentation, it's half the fun!

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
LOVELY LITTLE ROD

CNF 1307SP is fairly progressive quick recovering in action, which allows you to load the rod to match you casting styles.

In other words the more line you pick up the deeper the rod will load.

:smokin:
The lines I have used are as follow

Rio
Midspey 65ft head
6/7 at 455 grains.
7/8 at 490 grains

Airflow

Long Delta 6/7 61.5 ft head at 550 grains
Long Delta 7/8 63.0-ft head at 580 grains

I have been sticking with sinking leader rather than a head system with this rod.

:)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Probably not the line ~

Hi Dave,

For what it's worth, I agree - I love that rod too. It will be my next CND, that's for sure!

That being said, I wanted to caution you against thinking that a new line will be easier to cast. We've got a lot of gear whores on this board, and they like nothing better than an excuse to go get another line to test. :devil: :D

But I've cast that rod with the 6-7-8 Windcutter with and without tips, the 6/7 Midspey floating and with tips, and the Long Delta 7/8 with floating and sinking tips (and even once with a sinking poly leader attached to the floating tip).

The Windcutter 6-7-8 casts about the same as the others (comparing all full floaters)- the only major difference is that the Long Delta and Midspey have bellys that are 6-10' longer.

I'd suggest borrowing a couple of these other lines and/or going to the speyclave in Sept. Try them to see if they're actually easier to cast before you lay down the $$$. Attend the clave and you'd get the chance to try out those other lines plus get a few tips on changing your technique to adapt to floating tips.

I always find I have a bit of adapting to do when I switch over to the floating tips sometime in July. I usually have to slow my stroke down and guard against overpowering my setup on casts like the single and double spey. Casting a full floater is different than casting a sinktip line, but once you learn the tricks most agree it's more enjoyable.

See you on the river!

DS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kush, I'm sure you are right. I need to slow down. My worst casts were the ones I really tried to overpower my forward cast. It's counter-intuitive for me to slow down, but I'm sure that's it.

It was odd that I was able to cast better with the sink tips vs the floating tip. Not usually the case for me. Must have been working slower with them, letting the rod load up and do it's work.

I will go to Aaron's clave on the 20th. I want to also try out the 6/7 Expert, and the 9/10 custom as well. Aaron, will you have those there on the 20th?

Thanks everyone.

Dave

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Kush re your first experience with your 7136

Kush posted:

"I clearly recall my first afternoon with the original Sage 7136! I could not make a cast without tailing the loop, being a big strong guy I naturally assumed that it needed more power - of course that just made it worse!

I recall sitting down on the banks of the Morice and seriously considering chucking the whole useless rig into the river. I think the only thing that stopped me was that it was Dana's rod . After calming down and thinking for a bit I decided to let the rod do the casting - similar to what I did with my 18' Bruce & Walker - and wouldn't you know it cast like a dream. "

Even those of us who are really big and good casters, had that experience with the 7136. I had that experience shad fishing on the American River during high flows with sinking tips.

The rod ended up in my closet and semi for sale for a year. Then I brought it out with the MS 6/7 and a long leader and a fly instead of some varmit size critter. I fell in love with it for late spring to early fall fishing.

My failure with it lead me to my Sage 7141, 10151 and three of Bob Meiser's great switch rods. Each rod has its place, season and specific niche re wind, water flows and size of the fish that I'm trying to get to.

With my poor skills, slow and easy are mandatory with the 7136.

·
Registered
267 Posts
CND Custom 1307

I had a chance to try this rod earlier this year and loved it. I tried a number of different lines with this rod and liked the mid spey 6/7. If you plan on using this strictly for floating line work you may want to go up one line and try the mid spey 7/8. However if you think there is a possibility of using the sink tip lines I would stick with the 6/7. The WC lines also worked extremely well on this rod if you prefer the shorter head skagit style lines. Good Luck and Tight Lines

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Excellent

I have been fishing this rod all summer and it it one of my favorites already. I have used the Wulff TT Spey #8 with much success as a dry line. I also like the XLT 6/7 when long casts are required but most of the head has to be extended for this line to work. I am looking forward to the Airflow Traditional 6/7 if I can ever get my hands on one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts