Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 30 years away from steelhead fishing a lot has changed in steelhead fishing, at least for me. I took up the two handed Spey rod last year. Now I’m going back to the Deschutes. Anyone have a favorite fly they use. Apparently flies have changed quite a bit too. I still have my old bombers, and flies like the green butt skunk and freight train but I see things have changed. Appreciate any feed back.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
So after 30 years away from steelhead fishing a lot has changed in steelhead fishing, at least for me. I took up the two handed Spey rod last year. Now I’m going back to the Deschutes. Anyone have a favorite fly they use. Apparently flies have changed quite a bit too. I still have my old bombers, and flies like the green butt skunk and freight train but I see things have changed. Appreciate any feed back.
Those are still popular flies, and old spey or classic salmon patterns.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
3,443 Posts
There are new materials but the flies are the same patterns.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's funny...there's kind of a resurgence of the old patterns as we learn that the beauty of fishing lies not in numbers caught but how they are caught, on our own terms. With such low fish returns it's become more important for us to channel the traditions and the art of a sport. My advice is to fill your half your box with the most colorful, most beautiful hair and feather winged beasts you can find or tie. Then, fill the other half with any color you want as long as it's black...Cheers, and welcome back to where nothing has changed o_O:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6 Posts
My favorite will depend on the context. For fresh aggressive fish in sunny weather I have had good results with white egg-sucking leeches with an orange egg. I like a green-butt skunk for colder water and overcast conditions. There are so many factors but I like Intruder patterns with contrasting colors depending on the light: for sunny days pink/orange or red/gold and dark days blue/black, purple/black and chartreuse/black. I fish alot of traditional patterns and on many days the Blue Charm and Bondal Hairwing patterns get the nod. Yes, they are Atlantic Salmon patterns but they work for Steelhead too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts