Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out what flies to tie for summer fishing im Miramachi (beginning of June)

So far my list containst of the following flies:

1. green machine in size 6 & 8
2. Grey and Black rats in size 6 & 8
3 Undertakers in size 6 & 8
5. Black Bear (green butt & red butt) size 6 & 8
4. Bombers in 4 & 6

What else to add or remove

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you're here for the beginning of June, be sure to bring A mickey finn or two. The sea-run brookies are in, and they're a LOT of fun if you happen to run in to them coming up the river.

Also, your guide will love it if you have some green machines with a white calf tail in your box for this time of year.

Your list looks great! Hope you have a blast.

-Rob

·
Registered
931 Posts
That is a pretty good choice of flies, but that early in the season, I suggest you include some larger sizes, as well as some streamer patterns. Again, that early in the season, you most likely will not be using your Bombers very much.

As far as streamers are concerned I suggest, in sizes 2 and 4:

Magog Smelt
Miramichi Special
Grey Ghost
Black Ghost

It also never hurts to have a few Green Highlander and Cossoboom flies in sizes 2, 4, and 6.

I love the Miramichi and fish it almost every year, but in July and Sept/Oct.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Can't go there without a Cosseboom. I've never fished the Miramachi but I know that fly is killer there.
Blue Charms
Shady Lady
White Wing Butterflies
Allys Shrimp
wwdoak.com Will show many patterns that they have used.
Those are other good patterns to have.

Nic

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for your responses

What about sizes?

I'm right for size 6 & 8?

Thank you again

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just booked a trip. I'll be going over there in July (4-10)

I have few questions on the rat patterns.

Seems to be that only one difference is the first 2/3 - 1/2 of the body

Basically you can tie first half with copper or grey silk and that consider to be either Copper Rat or Grey Rat

Am I right with it?

Time to get start tying.

I just need to tie slightly over 150 patterns:) (where I will be able to find time to do all that:confused:)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rat series

Drumik
I don't think that you're right. According to the book Atlantic Salmon Flies & Fishing by Joseph Bates. The bodies are different between all the different patterns but the wings are all tied with grey fox guard hair. For instance the Grey Rat is tied with a body of the underfur from the grey fox while the Rusty Rat is tied with a body as follows, front half peacock herl and rear half bright yellow floss but I've also seen it tied with more of an orange yellow floss. There a nine patterns in the Rat series, Grey Rat, Silver Rat, Gold Rat, Rat, Copper Rat, Black Rat, Rusty Rat, Red Rat, and last but not least the Brown Rat. I've been a fan of the Rat series of flies for a long time and use them for steelhead and also tied as small streamers for trout. I have not used all of the different Rat patterns but the ones that I have used have worked great, they have a very buggy look. My suggestion would be to locate a copy of the aforementioned book, it is one of my favorites. Good luck with the Rats, I have alot of faith in them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Flies for Miramachi River Summer

Hi drumik,

PEI.Salar.Salmo hit the nail on the head with the Miramachi Cosseboom which is the dark green. I use to fish the last week of June into the first of July and that was one of the best producers I ever used, one year in four days I hooked 10 fish, 9 of the on the dark green Miramachi Cosseboom. Also the Shady Lady was another hot producer and we found if we had a fish roll for a Shady Lady and would not take switch to a Green Machine or to a fly similar to a Green Machine except with brown deer hair and a crystal flash tail... Another fly is one called Matties Mistake, I have book that it is in and I can't find it, I've been moving the last little while and it is probably in a box somewhere. Someone else might have the recipe for it. Sizes 6 & 8's are your best bet unless you have some real high water you might go to size 4. Chances of having high water the first of July will be slim, but mother nature can throw a monkey wrench at you pretty quick. Salmon Chaser can attest to this as one of his first trips with me to the Miramachi we spent part of the day sitting in the river with the shorts on trying to cool off. Also don't forget your fly spray, just before dark the mosquitoes will carry you away.

Have a good trip, wish I was going too...
Alan

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
Salmonguy makes a good point about the green color. It is a dark green. When I was fishing the Miramichi, Doaks carried a green floss of the correct shade.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drumik
I don't think that you're right. According to the book Atlantic Salmon Flies & Fishing by Joseph Bates. The bodies are different between all the different patterns but the wings are all tied with grey fox guard hair. For instance the Grey Rat is tied with a body of the underfur from the grey fox while the Rusty Rat is tied with a body as follows, front half peacock herl and rear half bright yellow floss but I've also seen it tied with more of an orange yellow floss. There a nine patterns in the Rat series, Grey Rat, Silver Rat, Gold Rat, Rat, Copper Rat, Black Rat, Rusty Rat, Red Rat, and last but not least the Brown Rat. I've been a fan of the Rat series of flies for a long time and use them for steelhead and also tied as small streamers for trout. I have not used all of the different Rat patterns but the ones that I have used have worked great, they have a very buggy looking. My suggestion would be to locate a copy of the aforementioned book, it is one of my favorites. Good luck with the Rats, I have alot of faith in them.
Thank you

I wonder if I can subsitute grey wool (berlin wool or yarn) instead of dubbing on Grey Rat?

Any ideas

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi drumik,

PEI.Salar.Salmo hit the nail on the head with the Miramachi Cosseboom which is the dark green. I use to fish the last week of June into the first of July and that was one of the best producers I ever used, one year in four days I hooked 10 fish, 9 of the on the dark green Miramachi Cosseboom. Also the Shady Lady was another hot producer and we found if we had a fish roll for a Shady Lady and would not take switch to a Green Machine or to a fly similar to a Green Machine except with brown deer hair and a crystal flash tail... Another fly is one called Matties Mistake, I have book that it is in and I can't find it, I've been moving the last little while and it is probably in a box somewhere. Someone else might have the recipe for it. Sizes 6 & 8's are your best bet unless you have some real high water you might go to size 4. Chances of having high water the first of July will be slim, but mother nature can throw a monkey wrench at you pretty quick. Salmon Chaser can attest to this as one of his first trips with me to the Miramachi we spent part of the day sitting in the river with the shorts on trying to cool off. Also don't forget your fly spray, just before dark the mosquitoes will carry you away.

Have a good trip, wish I was going too...
Alan

Can you please post a pattern for shady lady?

Thank you

·
Registered
269 Posts
Greyrat dubbing

Durmik,
If you would rather use wool for the Grey Rat's body's dubbing I think that it is your choise and it will most likely be just fine. However, if you have the grayfox fur to use for the wing, the underfur from this wing material is the correct bubbing material.

·
Registered
931 Posts
There is a great variation in th epattern for flies called the Shady Lady. I think I have one or two in my fly box that I bought from a highly respected fly tyer on th eMiramichi. If I can find it, I will try to take and post a picture.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Shady Lady

Hi drumik

Thank you.

I was under impression that it will be some kind of wet fly
The link I posted earlier is what I always understood as a Shady Lady. In Dick Stewart Farrow Allen's Flies for Atlantic Salmon it is shown as a Bug with a silver Tag, Red Butt , Black deer hair body and a dark brown palmered hackle.

Alan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts