Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen; I am thinking of trying the clear waters of the York, Dartmouthand possibly the Boneventure salmon rivers. What patterns would be appropriate for fresh summer fish on average water? Are Spey flies a good choice for medium flows and crystal clear water? Thank You

·
Registered
916 Posts
Shag
The rivers I primarily fish are the Bonaventure, Petite and Grand Cascapedia. The flies I've had good success on are as follows. Wet flies: green stonefly, rulleand special, green highlander, blue charm, picasse, magog smelt, silver rat. In dry, bombers of various colors. Dries are almost always fished dead drift. In regular wet flies, I probably fish 6s and 8s most of the time, although I do fish and have taken fish on very large and very small flies. Most of the bombers are fairly large. The Petite and Bonaventure are exceptionally clear, Grand usually has a little more color and I will generally use slightly larger flies there. My picasse flies are spey flies, even the small ones.
Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flies

Thank You for the info gentlemen!

I was thinking of trying one of the rivers in mid July. Probably the Bonneventure. Would that be a decent time of year? Do you know of a site i could find the spey pattern for a Picasse?

I will try the same question on the other site you mentioned, thank you.

·
Registered
916 Posts
July should be good on the Bonaventure. Earlier is better, end of July early August can be a bit slower. But July is a great time for dead drift dries. Here's an image of a Picasse. Body is vinyl V rib; wing is yellow hair, a few strands of black crystal flash, black hair; dark gray or black spey hackle, one turn of silver pheasant, jungle cock.
Good luck.
Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
Sparkey
Sunday after the first Sandy Clave a couple of years ago, I fished the Sandy for the first time for a couple of hours in the morning. I'm fairly sure it was the first time steelhead had ever seen the fly and I was rewarded with a bright hen of about 10 lbs. It's one of my favorite flies and I tie it from 8s to 1/0s.
Bill

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
I will second the praise for Bill's pattern. He donated one of them to the Steelhead Fly shadowbox raffle and trust me, the picture does not do it justice. It was a thing of beauty!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Shag
For these rivers use
#1-Green Sonefly in BOTH doubles and light single wires from size 8 to 4and then single to size 2/0
#2 Pompier ANY size to suite water conditions,Sliver Rat # 10,Magog Smelt ,nd sossbly any form of Green Highlander
-Dries
Dirty Bomber,Carter's Bug,Original ALL deer bomber(including deer for the wings)
-Tiger Ghost or a Green Butt Speyfly for high water
Black Bear Green Butt tied REALLY sparce.
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
OOPS
One more
Tye up a BlackBear Green Butt ,building up the green butt with tinsel to about three time the diameter of the body .Tye in a SPARSEwing ,and no throat.Head is black deer spun Muddler style
Thii fly is picture on page 45 of "Flies for AtlanticSalmon" byStewart andFarrow Allen.Make the head round and not cone shaped as John Cuco tyed for the book.It really makes a scruffy looking fly but skated through the tail of a pool it's DEADLY.
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
66 Posts
Salar-1 said:
Shag
For these rivers use
#1-Green Sonefly in BOTH doubles and light single wires from size 8 to 4and then single to size 2/0

Cheers
Brian
Hi Brian:
Do you have a description/tying instructions for the Green Stonefly, or is it in any of the popular books?

Thanks in advance
Tom

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yep, what WRKE and Salar1 said.

Early Season: Green Stonefly with both green and black wing, Picasse, Magog Smelt, Tiger Ghost, and Lady Amherst.

Mid-Season Wets: Stonefly, Black Ghost, Blue Charm, Black Bear Green Butt, Undertaker, Silver Rat, Butterfly (tied with very sparse wing), Green Machine.

Dries: All Brown Bomber (do not tie neat), Green Bomber with Split White Wings in front and Brown Hackle, Chocolate Bomber with Split White Wing and Brown Hackle.

Late Season: Ally`s Shrimp, Black Ghost Streamer, Popsicle-style flies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts