Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much to my surprise, I am going to fish the Babine in mid-September of this year. I understand that dries are generally quite effective at this time of the year, and since I have not had much experience fishing dries to Steelhead, I am hoping some of you with experience can offer some suggestions as to pattern, color, and size. I also know that weather conditions can change everything in a heartbeat, so I plan to have a backup plan, but I'm not sure what makes the most sense. I'm figuring on taking a variety of tips and heads (Scandi, Skagit, Delta Spey w tips, and IMows), but once again, the fly selection concerns me. Any suggestions there are also appreciated. I'll probably take more stuff than I need, but I don't want to be unprepared for what will probably be a one shot deal.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
177 Posts
Lucky you!

In no particular order:
Grantham's sedge, Harry Lemire's Grease liners, some small (4-8) bombers in orange, black and combinations of the 2 colours, plus any other waking fly you like.
I would also have a selection of wets and comeback flies. Undertakers, Lindgren's Indispensable, his Black Butt Black tied quite sparse, and your favorite small dark flies.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
what section of the river will you be fishing??

i'd take a bunch of muddlers and hitch them skates as good as you need.. plus they'll work wet.

My experience with the Babine tells me you need to be prepared for both clear water and dirty water unless you are only fishing from the fish counting wier to the mouth of the Nilklitwa , or however it's spelled,

When i floated the river our first three days were beautiful and sunny

but after the Nilklitwa the river was muddy due to glacial run off

I fished low water wet flies the first day and nothing but unweighted bunny leeches on sink tips for the next 6 days

1 - 5 of 5 Posts