Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may find it very useful when building durable flies, for example or gluing two components which may flex or are subject to temperature change.

The Loctite 4851 is not as flexible as polyurethane Aquaseal, but still has decent flexibility, and is the only flexible Loctite.

# 4861 has the same properties and higher viscosity.

The glue is recommended for applications in -65 F to + 125 F ( -53 to 52 C) range.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mender works very well on fabrics, leather and alike, however does not adhere so well as Loctite to plastic, metal, rubber etc.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
super glues Ive used in fly tying have a tendency to turn hazy white once it is wet and dries out, leaving a powdery film when used for heads. So, super glue is relegated to only bindings and lashings on articulated/shank flies or where ever it is covered and not showing in the final finish...

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Hmmm. I've used the Locktite glues mentioned on the wraps I use to hold braided mono loops I make when I cut lines to make them useful for interchangeable sink tips, included to stiffen up the loop a bit so it doesn't collapse. I've never had a problem with either of these two glues (the thin or medium viscosity versions) turn white. They remained clear. And the reason I started using them was to avoid having to wait 24 hours before I could fish with the line like I did when using Aquaseal. I can use one of these Locktite's and be fishing with the line within an hour.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some folks has reported discoloring of Veevus thread with regular fly tying cement. Neither of the aforementioned Loctite adhesive or even other Loctite SG which are stiff after curing, caused any discoloration of the Veevus.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’ve only got one fishing glue and I have been using Locktite 406 for many years. The 406 is for plastic and rubber and works perfectly when splicing fly lines and for fly tying. (406 instead of varnish) This glue is thinner than water and does not turn white and powdery, the glue it is water resistant clear transparent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts