Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had the pleasure to try out the Meiser 16' 7/8/9, 6 piece, and 15' 7/8/9, 4 piece, Highlander rods earlier this month http://www.meiserflyrods.com/ .They also got some water time with SVA01 and Jamey McLeod.

I like to tip cast and I was interested in the lighter lines with type 3 and 6 sink tips. The lines I tried were all Rio products.

The 16'er was lined with a MS 7/8, MS 8/9, WC 8/9/10 and WC 9/10/11. All lines were very castable, however the WC 8/9/10 flew out the best.

The 15'er was lined with a MS 6/7, MS 7/8, MS 8/9 and WC 9/10/11. Again, all lines were very castable (The 6/7 was a touch too light) but the MS 7/8 was the favorite.

We planned to try some Hardy shooting heads with these as well, but, I have become a working man once again and couldn't get the water time before they had to go back for the rest of you guys to try.

Some other comments:

Both rods were fished with big (5" long) and little flies (size 5 GPs).

The 6 piece design of the 16'er is really a good idea for transportation. The rod tube was shorter than my 4 piece 13'er. The only negative about the 16'er is that it felt tip heavy. But then again, the good thing about being tip heavy is that it would require a 4 1/4" Perfect to balance it.

The 15'er is an incredible taper. Bob really has this one tuned! It balanced beautifully in the hand and the swing weight was as light as a 13' 6/7.

I sent these rods on to Poppy last week http://redshedflyshop.com/ . You owe it to yourself to try these out if you are in the market for a long and light rod.

Gary

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have ordered the 15 7/8/9

I should receive my 15 7/8/9 within the next couple of weeks and I can hardly wait. At the Sandy Clave, I picked up the one Bob had as a demo with the nextcast long belly line. I do not consider myself a profficient long belly caster. My first cast was 90-100'! I proceded to cast over 100' time after time - effortlessly :Eyecrazy: . An unbelievable rod.

HURRY UP BOB!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Both these rods

have a large grain window. I like the 16' 7/8/9 with the 9/10 long delta. The 10/11 Long delta works well with tips for this rod. The Carron 10/11 works well.

For the 15' 7/8/9 I like the 8/9 long delta. I was also impressed by how well the XLT-2 for #7 works with this rod. I have seen Brian (highlander2) cast the old style 7/8 XLT to the backing knot repeatedly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts