Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Just got back from Missoula, MT. I am thinking of relocating there. Being from the east I knew nothing of run-off season, so I was quite surprised to see that the rivers were fast and high, and that no one was wade fishing.

So here's what I'm wondering about: Wouldn't run-off season be a good time
to use a spey rod and, let's say, a Skagit line? (I'd take a wading stick, and I'd wear a PFD vest.) That way I could stay close to the bank and fish.

Spey fishing, as far as I know, was invented so anglers could fish the fast waters of Scotland without wading far from the bank; so why don't western trout anglers spey fish?

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
57 Posts

Run off is one of my (many) favorite times! And yes, two handers are very effective tools at this time of year.

In many places there is no need to wade (and on some rivers, and many stretches of others, you probably wouldn't want to wade - even with a good staff and a PFD!).

I often use around 10' of T-8 off a skagit head, with only part of the head out of the guides. This allows easy, accurate, placement of an unweighted fly in the quiet water along the edges and around near shore rocks. The fly gets deep enough quickly, and looks alive in front of the fish. And there will be plenty of fish.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Yeah do it, safely. One big difference between a Scottish (spate) river that's swollen from rain and a Rocky Mountain river that's swollen from snow melt is water temperature. Big difference (between the difference of normal and swollen). But because the water is heavy, the best place to fish the swollen river is the edge water, and in the case of a RM river swollen with runoff that's where the warmer water will be such as it is. Have fun in Missoula if you go.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
Folks,

Thanks. What weight would you recommend for the Clark Fork, The Bitteroot and the Blackfoot?

Randy
yer gonna want to chuck some very big uglies if the waters dirty. a line that will handle t14 might be best for bugs that size. dont want long tips tho, a 5x5 mow would prob do it. prob not the best time for those 3wts, besides the wind at times will send you home throwing less than a six. get both !

·
Registered
210 Posts
Plenty of us spey casting for trout in MT...

Run-off season can actually fish fairly well, and the hordes of tourist anglers aren't here yet. Some of the creeks and rivers coming out of the high country without much agricultural run-off can stay fishable (many don't open till third Saturday in May), and larger rivers can fall back into fishable shape with a few cold nights (slowing down run-off from the headwaters).

·
Banned
879 Posts
Randy-
There are spring runoff windows that can be productive. I fish a freestone close to the rivers you mention. With mild temps at the lower elevation we had big Mother's Day caddis hatches going off which kept the fish looking up for almost a week. Lots of top water action. With cool temps and snow in the mountains the beginning of runoff came on slow with good streamer fishing along the river banks. The rising river offers fish new sources of food along the reclaimed river bank as well as decent holding water. The biggest fish can be caught at this time of year and often times you don't have to go the skagit route. When the river goes into full blown runoff IMO it then becomes a waiting game, more time to spend on the Pages :smokin:... YMMV Good luck in your relocation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts