Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a tips for fishing short / near w/ a Spey rod ? My experience consists soley of mid to long belly lines and my only solution is to walk farther upstream to swing into the area near me. I've not yet tried any "Skagit" casting, but it sounds like a possible advantage for short line fishing.

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
hisgarness said:
Anybody have a tips for fishing short / near w/ a Spey rod ? My experience consists soley of mid to long belly lines and my only solution is to walk farther upstream to swing into the area near me. I've not yet tried any "Skagit" casting, but it sounds like a possible advantage for short line fishing.
As long as you are fishing a floating line it should be no problem using the same lines as you do when fishing fine and far off. Just put your upper hand lower on the grip and use a shorter casting stroke simmilar to the underhand cast. On those short cast shooting line is most often not necessary, so it should not be any problem if the line outside the rings don't loads the rod so deep as you are used to.

·
Registered
124 Posts
To add to what McIntyre writes, something from my own beat - where wading is not be advised and there bushes/trees right behind my back such that even the loop on a 10m shooting head will often touch and the cast be destroyed. I quite often fish without a cast in the sense that most people understand it: I'm fishing a strip of say 10-15m wide with the necessity to extend this. At the same time, having to negotiate big boulders and tussocks. At the top of the run I simply work the line out - for this stretch I use a T&T DH1208 with a Scierra MWF and let it go with the current. Swing the rod well into the bank: something that I notice a lot of people don't do when fishing. I'm on the right bank. The cast that I will often use now is a Contrived Loop using the right hand on top and a reverse cast in the first movement and ensuring that I keep the rod further out thus avoiding snagging the back loop. When people fish with me it is the stretch (200-250m) that most avoid, but for me the stretch that present the angler with a challenge. Get a fish out of there and you've done well!

Regards
Steven

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Run into this problem on the Rogue all the time. Here (if you have one) is where a double taper line really shines. Better yet, you don't need a 'spey lenght' line, the 'normal' 90 footer is more than plenty.

Other way I handle this is to use a short head WF line at least 1 or 2 wt's over what you'd usually use and 'tip cast.' Not pretty, but 'chuck and duck' does work. With the DT line casting is a lot prettier to watch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts