Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to have two of Meisers Highlander rods for a few days and thought I would pass along my thoughts. First off let me say I am not an accomplished caster. I am just a fishable caster, sometime wow and sometimes ah crap. These rods make me look allot better than I am.

First came the 16' 7/8/9 Highlander. One word describes this rod , Powerhouse. Gene Oswald and Doug Osborne arrived while I was trying it out with my old style XLT 7/8. Even for me 100+ ft casts were a cinch. Then Gene and Doug Took it and just stared showing off. Casting it 120-140 feet with big grins saying man this is one powerful rod. They were both impressed that it would cast the 7/8 with that much authority. Then we tried the new CND 8/9 mid length line and they were shooting it just as far. When they got tired of showing off I put my XLT back on and fished it for a couple more hours. Then I fished it the next morning. For me its a bit much as and every day rod, but I am sure Gene and Doug could use it all the time.

Now to the Incredible 15' 7/8/9. Quite a bit lighter in the hand than the 16. It just felt that it was made for me. No effort casts with the 7/8 XLT. A nice easy stroke and 100 ft casts were effortless, even left handed. I couldnt believe it was me making those casts. Just kept shaking my head and grinning. Then just for the heck of it I put my 7/8 Mid Spey (about 150 grains lighter) on it. It just went ahead and cast it right out there to. Left the whole head out of the rod and could shoot another 15' easy. Gene and Doug Will be out with me on the third and we will try the CND lines, and some others that I have. I will let you know how they feel.
Dont pass up a chance to cast them if it comes your way. My very own 15 footer will be here in two weeks.

Skilly

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Line updates

Here are some of the lines I have tried on the Meiser 15' 7/8/9

XLT old style 7/8. So far this is my favorite line on this rod. With it I can fish 100 ft easy. For me thats an accomplishment.

XLT8 new style. This line casts ok and I fished it for a couple of hours. It seems to be more fussy about the length of line being cast.

XlT 9 new style. I didnt care for this line on this rod. I could cast it but I had to work at it. Just never did seem right to me.

Windcutter 8/9/10 with upgrade. The upgrad makes this a 70 ft head. I found that pulling about two to three ft in the tip made this combo cast very well. A little heavy for the rod but I fished it for an outing and it will probably be my winter tips line.

Mid Spey 7/8 To me it is a little on the light side but the rod will cast it very well. I fished it with the full head out of the rod.

CND Mid Length 8/9 This line casts well and I fished it for a couple of hours. I think maybe the 7/8 might be a better match.

As you can see I am spending allot of time on the water fishing this rod. I really like it and all who have cast it are very impressed. Light , nimble, easy to cast and only 11 more days and mine should be here.

Skilly

·
Registered
93 Posts
I tried the 15' 7/8/9 last week and found it to be light, smooth and powerful. Making long casts with a 7/8 xlt is a breeze. I liked it so well I ordered one for myself.

·
Registered
344 Posts
can anyone compare the 15 7/8/9 Meiser with the Loomis 15' 7/8? Is one lighter or faster or better for tips, etc?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lommis 7/8 Meiser 7/8/9

The Loomis 15 ft 7/8 is a lighter rod than the Meiser 15 ft 7/8/9.
The Loomis casts an XLT 6/7 old style and the Meiser casts a 7/8 XLT old style. The Meiser should handle any tip that you might want to use, while if I had the Loomis 7/8 I would keep it strictly for dry line work. The Meiser is closer to the Loomis 15 8/9. I have cast both and my new Meiser should be here this week.

Skilly

·
Registered
91 Posts
CND + Meiser rods

I've paired my 14' 7/8 Highlander with the 7/8 CND line - its a pretty sweet combination, definitely give the CND lines a try on the Highlander series!
-Kristin

·
Registered
796 Posts
Meiser 15 7/8/9

I haven't tried the CND's yet, but Bob himself recommended the CND 9/10 for my forthcoming 15 7/8/9 Highlander. Keith

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CND Line and lead tiem

I tried the CND 8/9 on the 15 7/8/9. It casts well and for a tips line or smaller water it would work well.

Lead time ? I dont know what the lead time is. You would have to call Meiser and talk to him. 541-770-9522

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Meiser 15' 7/8/9

I have cast both the CND 8/9 and 9/10 and the rod handles both very nicely. The rod has a very large grain window.

Rich

·
Banned
501 Posts
With CND 9/10 how much do you load the rod? Is the 9/10 load it all the way to the cork, or it is more like 70% -80% down the blank?

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
The 9/10 loads about 70-80%. If you want to get into the cork you will probably have to go with 10/11. The Carron 10/11 75' is also a very nice line for the rod.

Rich

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
yo bolen

In a previous post I mentioned what we lined the 15' 7/8/9 4 piece with;

The 15'er was lined with a MS 6/7, MS 7/8, MS 8/9 and WC 9/10/11. Again, all lines were very castable (The 6/7 was a touch too light) but the MS 7/8 was the favorite

The MS 6/7 loaded about 10% in, the MS 7/8 loaded about 30% in, the MS 8/9 and WC 9/10/11 loaded about 50% in.

The ghetto casters like faster action and preferred the MS 7/8.

Gary

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine is here

I received my 15' 7/8/9 from Meis today. His workmanship is at least as good if not better than any rod maker I have seen. This rod is as pretty as a little spoted filly.Tomorrow I will start to wear it out. So If you need line info let me know and I will try to get it to you.

Skilly
[email protected]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Highlander Weight?

Does anyone know what the approximate weight is for the Meiser 7/8/9 Highlander (15-foot)? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
esudol,

All of my rods are custom made so they will vary in weight as to how they are built for each client.

<> Type of reel seats, wood in the grip, guide systems etc...All can add or subtract from the overall weight.

In truth, most anglers feel that overall balance of the rod on the swing is of the primary importance in regards to weight issues.

Most two handed rods are very light these days....

I have a field rod here that is one that I would send out to anglers for try out on the water.

Upper grip is about 16"... Lower around 6" <> Struble U18 reel seat, with standard 3 ceramic strippers and chrome snakes.

Pretty basic.

I just weighed her, and she comes in at 9.67 oz, and is a 4 pc rod....Blank weighs 6.2 oz.

Grain window of 600 to 875 plus depending on deeply she is put under load.

Meiz

·
Registered
109 Posts
Some 15 7/8/9 line info

Skilly said:
I received my 15' 7/8/9 from Meis today. His workmanship is at least as good if not better than any rod maker I have seen. This rod is as pretty as a little spoted filly.Tomorrow I will start to wear it out. So If you need line info let me know and I will try to get it to you.

Skilly
[email protected]
Have had my 7/8/9 about a week now - what a sweet stick!:smokin: Have begun with one of the lines Bob suggested - the CND GPS 9/10. I have no regrets - either with the rod or the line.

Next - I will try the Nextcast, as soon as Simon gets another batch.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Meiser 15 7/8/9

I just returned from the Gaspe after 9 days of fishing with my new Meiser 15' 7/8/9. Let me add to the superlatives. Bob set me up with a 9/10 CND line, and the combination was unbelievable. I'm not an expert caster, more an intermediate speycaster since it's usually a once or twice a year thing, but after I followed his advice to let the rod do the work it was a breeze. I found it by far the easiest rod to cast I have experienced. Most of the fishing was 80' or less, so I didn't try any heroics, but I have not doubt in the right hands this rod could handle anyone's needs for distance. The fishing was horrible, so the rod didn't get the workout it deserved on the fishfighting front, but as a casting tool I can't say enough about it. Keith

·
Registered
155 Posts
Meiser 7/8/9

Received a 7/8/9 loaner from Bob on Saturday. Will take it out tomorrow for a workout. I should be phoning in an order in the afternoon. I'll be throwing a XLT 7/8 on a Canyon #7.

Since this rod is in the 10-ounce area, I may get a Canyon #6. It sounds like a CND line is preferred by most. Where can you get a CND line?

Thanks,
ED

1 - 20 of 36 Posts