Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys keep you`re rod guides and reels dry and not frozen?
I fished in -4 degrees with a atleast -6 windchill and my rod guides and reel were freezing when i put my glove on the reel it froze to it!I also had a hard time reeling and pulling line out(because it was frozen).

Ideas?

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you are asking about fahrenheit then I am with Fred. Up here in the Northeast USA the rivers normally slush up at those temps! If your talking about the low 20's F then try to keep the reel dry and break the ice off your guides with your fingers. I stick the tip of the rod in the water. I turn my reel every few minutes even if my casting does not require it.
I build my rods specially for this type of condition. Recoil running guides and PacBay Minima stripping guides.

Quinn

·
Registered
650 Posts
I was out today in 20 f with 30 mph gusts coming off the lake... Brutal stuff. Best thing is recoil guides and keeping your reel and hands DRY!

·
Registered
742 Posts
FYI, you guys are giving some very interesting advise to a 11 year old kid. :D

Boris, the best (not the only) way to prevent icing of guides is to use mid to longer belly fishing lines (45ft and up) and not having to strip in shooting/running lines. Not getting your reel wet helps too (haven't met a reel that won't freeze up yet ;)). But a longer belly line often requires a different technique to what your learning right now. Best bet right now is to just cast your skagit head and shooting little to no extra line (and keep your reel off the H2O). Perfect your current technique before moving along to proper mid belly technique. Tim from M&Y will be a good person to mentor you when your ready. Or stay indoors and enjoy a (wobbly) pop when the conditions are that cold (or so he tells me). :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Speaking of freezing temps.....was fishing the lake this morning when it was 20 f with 30 mph gusts. The ice that formed overnight broke off shore and all got funneled into where I was fishing. I spent two hours breaking up these huge pieces, caught a few landlocks after, then got swarmed with more ice and had to leave!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Matt,
Is this up on Champlain? Read an article last year in "On the Water" about guys going out all winter in a boat if the ramps were clear.

Quinn (from Vermont)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Matt,
Is this up on Champlain? Read an article last year in "On the Water" about guys going out all winter in a boat if the ramps were clear.

Quinn (from Vermont)
Yup. They're called Frostbiters. Some of them even break through some pretty thick ice at the launches!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts