Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There were absolutely Zero adult Yellowstone Cutthroat to be seen at Fishing Bridge today. As we rolled along viewing the river below there where a few anglers fishing in water that appeared to be devoid of catchable size cutts. Good place to practice I guess. There were some trout fry to be seen hopefully not all Mackinaw Lakers. I have to say I wish I would have seen one gulping trout like rise form but among a great looking caddis hatch not a gulper to be seen. I new the place was in trouble but I thought I could show my nieces' and other family & friends one or two fish to view...........ouch this really truly hurts worse than I imagined it would. I mean I really new it was bad but this was a crushing scene. Not a gulper on the entire drive around the lake either.AND I AM ALWAYS LOOKING ALLLWAAAAYYYYS:mad::crying: It's like dead water with minnows.......maybe there is hope.........somehow.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I haven't heard anything recently but I seem to remember reading something to the effect awhile back that the netting of lake trout in the lake had been somewhat successful, that they were seeing a decrease in the size of fish netted.
I haven't read any reports on cutthroat numbers other than the river is not nearly as good as it once was but I have heard there are still fish in it and it's not completely devoid of fish.
I haven't fished the Yellowstone above the falls for at least 5-6 years now. I was actually planning on going down there sometime soon and swinging above LeHardy Rapids.
I've also heard the fish that are there are pretty large.

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blackb..... I hope you find some info and some live ones.Please share what you find I would love to know if there is anything left.:confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yellowstone Cutts

I usually spend at least a weekend or 2 each year in the park fishing. Used to spend about 5-6 down there. A couple weeks back I went with the family and water temps being what they've been, decided to just do some sightseeing and camping and let em be. By day 2 I started to develop a nervous twitch, but had to just keep reminding myself that I was doing the right thing.

Last year we stayed at Fishing Bridge for a weekend and I had the same experience as you, though I wasn't completely shocked by it. I kind of expected to not see a fish. The water there isn't really the best holding water, though they are cutthroat and so do like the deeper slower current at times. On our way north I stopped a few times at areas I've caught fish over the years (between the Hayden and the lake) and actually saw 2 - 16-18 sized cutts working on bugs. One was in a deeper narrow seam about 4' off the bank, the other was 1' off the bank on the edge of faster water in a smaller hole about 2' deep. Both seemed to be enjoying themselves and I too sat and admired them for a good 5-10 minutes. Yellowstone Cutthroat are some of the most beautiful fish on this planet.

Still not interested in fishing this race of cuts. Would prefer to let em' be for a few more years and then reevaluate.

·
Registered
555 Posts
That's sad news if the cutthroat population has taken that much of a hit from the Mackinaws. I heard it was bad, but I haven't been in the park for almost a decade. Last time I was on that section of the Yellowstone was an early July (before it was open to fish) and I remember tossing golden stones into the river somewhere near buffalo ford and every one was eaten by one of the many visible cutties. The Yellowstone cutthroat are a special fish, and I hope the netting and retention of the lake trout will eventually help but it doesn't look good when you her things like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts