Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fishing mates and I have been talking about building a flow tank to test flies for several years. We knew what we wanted to achieve with the different types of flies, but never came up with a design that answered all our needs.

In January we ordered a Fish Skull Fly Tester. It arrived and got set up in my friends office-tying room, his place is kind of the mid-distance between the three of us. It arrived mid- January. I was fishing most of January and February so I didn't get to see it till last week.

It's a super nice piece of equipment, well designed and built. And it is set up to test surface flies, near surface and deep sunk flies. The pump is adjustable for flow speed. Most of our favorite flies looked good and some of my tubes not so much. It's going to help a lot with designing new patterns.

It's a bit pricey, but split three ways it's a bargain. I doubt we could have built a unit that is so versatile.

There are several You Tube vids that explain the Tester.

Enjoy The Spey Journey,
sixheads

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
That's it?!? No photos? I built a crude one with a fish tank, a tube held up with aquaseal and empty thread bobbins, and a pump from the pet store. It really changed my outlook on certain materials and their applications. Well worth the money to have one of these!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
One of the best thing I ever got seriously made rethink everything! so many patterns got a face lift and synthetics seem to be really good so far and hold less water than many natural materials.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Excellent design and I really like the latest version.

I have one on back order, should be available mid April.

Video and photos of fly in action will be easily created.

Regards,
FK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts