Spey Pages banner

What percentage of "Keepable" fish do you keep each year?

• 0% - 10%

Votes: 56 82.4%
  • 10% - 20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20% - 30%

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 30% - 40%

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 40% - 50%

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 50% - 60%

• 60% - 70%

• 70% - 80%

• 80% - 90%

• 90% - 100%

Votes: 4 5.9%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What percentage of KEEPABLE fish do you harvest each year?

Last year I landed 35 steelhead and salmon. Of those 35, 21 were KEEPABLE fish. I harvested a total of 3 Steelhead and 4 Salmon for a harvest percentage of 33%.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Didn't keep any salmon, but did keep three hatchery fish right at the end of 2005. Up to that point, ALL were released.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One spring speckled trout kept as a result of a large hook and a smaller fish. As usual, all atlantic salmon,, hatchery too,, were released to fight another day. I've never killed one,, never wanted to and sure the hope the day doesn't come that I damage one and have to ponder the thought:(

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I have not knowingly killed a steelhead since the early 80's. I just can't bring myself to killing even a hatchery fish even though I know some folks who say you should kill every hatchery fish you hook on the N Umpqua.

I will on rare occasions keep a King when fishing tide water on the Chetco or Smith. I will also keep brookies planted in high mountain lakes on backpacking trips

It helps that trout/steelhead are not my favorite fish to eat.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
stir em' up!

i kill every one i can!,why!!(you dastardly hammer:devil: ),,,here's the bottom line>i never ate a steelhead out of the river for two years,even though i cought some darned nice fish,:smokin: ,i had this hmmmm,mentality going that ~I~ was doing something important,,and a man challenged me to catch a steelhead one time a couple augusts ago,and so i did,and he was a hatchery fish to boot!,well,after broiling up that fish and enjoying it as i had all my life growing up ,i have absolutely no problems killing a fish now,just crack open a can of tuna fish:roll: ptoooie!,it's catfood!,,so `as the world turns',,and i see `wild cought',,`wild salmon'etc.etc.,i simply must wonder the mindset when in fact=i eat meat!,,my favorite is beef,,but i have no problems with someone killing a `wild'bear deer,elk,add infinitum,as long as they eat it,,,so are anglers any different?,should i look down upon someone from high above because they choose to eat a `wild' halibut,ling,even wild steelhead(allowed to be harvested in the `southwest zone' of oregon because they don't want to add hatchery stock),that coupled with the fact that eyed eggs from hatcherys are supplied toriparian landowners to plant in gravel=none of witch are finclipped,certainly adds to the confusion of what's `wild 'doesn't it?,so i won't be squirming when i sit down and eat a plate of shrimp or a lobster,and i WILL be enjoying my spring chinook this year as always,my attitude is,if you want to contribute to the watershed,it starts with the water itself,,thats' where the dif will be made,remember,only 10% of steelhead return to spawn again,i won't take a hen,,only the bucks when talking wild steelhead,salmon=any,so praise the ODFW and pass the pork chops!,hatchery clipped of course:saevilw:

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
194 Posts
Caught two steelies in 2005 -

one wild, one hatchery. released the beautiful wild hen, kept the 29" hatchery buck for the freezer and dinner table. So I guess that makes it 100%. Tho, given only one fish, that doesn't say much. If I ever get that good, and can catch hatchery fish on a more regular basis, I'll take what i can eat w/in the next few weeks of catching the fish, and turn back the rest... Infact, I'll be enjoying a slab of that steelhead tonight. In a nice cabernet wine sauce, w/ lemon and sage spices....:smokin: Pass the bottle of wine....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Don't you guys eat fish?

I was watching OLN yesterday and a preview for Ted Nugent came on, he poses the question "Who is more guilty, the assassin or the guy who hires the assassin?"
Living in Northwest Oregon I have front row seats to watch the Gill Netters UNselectively catch and kill ALL fish that are caught in their nets. Any Columbia River or Tillamook Bay fisherman will attest to the effects that the Gill-Netting seasons have on the fish runs.
Nothing against the Gill-Netters... we all have to make our living somehow, but I don't like to support their harvest methods.
I agree with Hammer, canned Tuna ( and I will add "Farm Raised" ) fish from the market is cat food and I will not buy "Wild Caught" anything!
I love to eat fish and red meat:saevilw: I use Spey and Fly rods to harvest the fish and a Bow and Arrow to harvest the red meat. I typically keep about 60lbs of fish and try to harvest about 200lbs of red meat per year for my family, that sustains the 4 of us for the year.
That steelhead sounds good Feiger, enjoy:hihi:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
well

i WAS trying to get bit on my last post,trying to stir up some REAL ACTION,:smokin: ,,but i will state this=i don't ever angle for summer steelhead and expect to catch a hatchery fish,the spring run of chinook are 90% hatchery here and i've always counted on that run to get my `omega 3' nutrients;) ,i think a very interesting post or two was made about the serrun rainbows though,i'd like to expound on that,the way fish `wander'=in other words,,reading books on steelhead i believe i read `somwhere' they spawn within yards of where they were `deposited' in the gravel,,,,THEN HOW COME,salmonid species are known to wander?,and why when dams are removed the fish run farther upstream,and why if there's more water flow on a given year,do the fish run farther,both upriver and up small feeder streams?,,are they just mindless creatures who suddenly become ripe,or do they indeed as one writer wrote=pair up long before spawning occurs,should we consider them a wonder of nature or merely dumb fish who stumble into whatever section of whatever river and simply spawn?:confused:

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think the hatchery fish where ment to be bonked and I do kill all the ones I catch. However, if I catch a dark clipped fish I will let it go as it might not make good table fair. I know by realeasing the hatchery fish I could be harming wild fish but all steelhead a things of beauty and deserve respect so I will not waste any of the ones I catch.
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
holy crap it's a steelhead massacree!

I've been fishing steelhead for quite a few years now; before that I fished trout for many more. In all the time that I have been fly fishing, I have never bonked a steelhead. It just doesn't seem right. I fish on the Skeena and tribs, and even here I am concerned about the pressure on the stock. The issue is not how they taste or how many the commercial guys take as by catch; the issue is whether I can assist keeping the stock healthy by not killing steelhead. Steelhead are such phenomenal sport fish, and we are putting all of our salmonid species at risk by overfishing, both sport and commercial. In my view all steelhead should be catch and release all the time. We should never allow retention of these princes of the river. Even if you have done so in the past, I urge you to stop any steelhead kill, particularly wild stocks. With increasing pressure, global warming, commercial by catch, and meat fishermen, the stocks cannot escape a significant impact. Once they're gone, they're gone, and recovery can take a long long time....

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
`even here'

look!,i'm trying to avoid a battle with anyone,,that has to do with ~fishing~,but,,,,:rolleyes: (here we go baby!)=,,,my `take' on the matter will always be=if you belive the fishery is in danger,why do you angle there?,why not leave the fish alone?,do you believe that tearing up the fish's mouth with a HOOK! so you can hold it is a GOOD THING!?,please do not cry out that the fish are being beat on mercilessly by `anglers' unless you yourself back away,,to me a hook is a hook is a hook,PERIOD! ,why not you just sit in corner and enjoy peanut butter every meal,quit playing with your food?

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
194 Posts
Damn Hammer!

At that rate, peanuts will become an endangered species!!

'Rattler - my take on it... a) however misguided or f----- up the rational and implementation of it all, hatchery fish were ment to be caught and eaten; they were created to provide for a take fishery, whether it be commercial or recreational/sport; b) hatchery fish - bad; there are few if any (and I'm still waiting for the "any" arguement to surface) beneficial things to the presence of hatchery fish w/in the genetic pool of potential spawners; they're the result of shortcutting natural systems, and have avoided significant Darwinistic effects of culling the weak, and science has shown them genetically inferior and potential threat to wild NATIVE fish runs if they spawn amongst; c) I do like the taste of salmonid flesh, baked, fried, barbqued, smoked, et al., but it will be a cold day in hell before I support the fish farm industry by purchasing something short of the spawn of franken fish and livestock; d) I am a carnivore, and proud of it, and in order to satisfy c), I'm required to kill a few fish; my selection of future food is pretty specific - hatchery or hatchery origin with intent to provide for a take fishery: that brings brings me opportunities for hatchery steelhead, when i'm lucky enough to get them, and reservoir/hatchery infused lake systems where taking a couple fish a year doesn't hurt a thing... The carnivore in me is satisfied... And my drive to make sure that resource and opportunity to partake in it is that much stronger...

Sorry -- having a hard time believing my actions are adversely affecting wild steelhead runs when compared to those who only, as Hammer so eloquently put it, "play" w/ their catch. To each their own...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Feiger!

you are,,simply put=a beast!:tsk_tsk: ,,but i WILL think of you the next time i have the succulent shreds of those ever so rare smoked `pellet head' fillets stuck in my teeth whilst enjoying my morning coffee!(i've head it's an aphrodesiac),,,:saevilw:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
why don't we do it this way!?

`what's on your `tag'?,i had 8 fish on mine,no winter steel=drought and thus i worked my dayjob for most of the time,three spring chinook=very tasty although not as fatty as cought at the coast,still quite nice though,three clipped summer steelhead=all cut amazingly `orange' all year long(they usually are `pink' by fall)and very nice tablefare indeed! and two fall chinook that `were not worth the wait'the meat was pale,,i gave most of it away around the holidays, in fact we stood around and badmouthed the quality of the late appearing, poor biting ,dark fish TODAY!,months after the run finished up!:rolleyes: ,so,i took 8 fish home for me,family doen't eat it,i could have taken many more,if i was a poacher and did not care:tsk_tsk: ,i also killed approximatly 20 fish for the neighborhood and relations that found the time to grace my boat with their presence(i'd have to sit and add them up),but,,it was a poor year overall,,some of the hotshot salmon guides send 80 spring chinook home each season,add it up!,if i were to believe a run was in danger of collapsing would i think it fair to angle for them with ANY METHODS?,would the department of fish and game!?,i simply have to go with what they=judge is fair,,my opinions on the winter steelhead run on the Rogue here would surely invoke bomb threats,,,but,,,hahaha since we're bombing each other tonight!=why not let er rip!:eek: =i propose closing the upper Rogue to all angling after April first for one month to allow the winter steelhead to spawn!,that's the accepted rule for the tribs!,why should the fish spawning in the mainstem be any dif.?,,,people not only pester the dark,late running fish but also catch the spawned out fish heading downriver witch of course ARE NOW ON THE BITE AND EASY PICKINGS! and they proudly display their kill!:rolleyes:as if the meat is pallatable!:( ,one must remember `one wild per day five per year is allowed per angler' here on this `run',i say =leave em be!:saevilw:,now i expect heavy a backlash on this due to simple economics,(in other words the fish come second,money first)but,,that's my feelings and the funny thing IS=i'm not lying!:tsk_tsk: i feel they should be angled for when they are prime and on the move,not on the redds:tsk_tsk: ,no other run in this river is allowed to be harrassed while spawning!,why this one?,i will never believe a steelhead is any more sacred than a salmon if it is a native species to the watershed,NEVER!,they are ALL indicators of the health of the watershed!,if one run disappears,then they will ALL disappear!,so,,FLAME ON! I"M READY!!!!:saevilw:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts