Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post of my fly tying skills on this forum. As such, I decided to take a crack at a couple of Winters Hopes, which I tied on McNeese's Blue Heron Spey Hooks in size #2 & #3. These are fishing flies. The set is based off of Marty's variation of Bill's timeless pattern. Aaron, thanks once again for the great hackle capes -- they really made these flies!

My goal is to swing them tomorrow while doing some dryline winter steelhead fishing on one of my favorite Oregon coastal streams. This season seems to be continually defined as unseasonable, with prolonged, low-flow conditions across many of our regional streams. Hope that this is the ticket (no pun intended).

Seeing how this is my first post, I would love any critiques, input, or constructive criticism from the many talented tiers that frequent this forum. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,850 Posts
Nice

Very nice tying there

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Thats really good tying. that wingset is sweet, and the topping sets it off. really well done best of luck at the coast!!!! show us the photos of one in the side of a chrome jaw

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still hoping for this winter!

Thanks for all of your kind responses to my post. I leaned heavily on Marty's variation for these flies as I mentioned earlier, and I was honestly nervous posting a pattern for the first time - the talents and flies posted here are top drawer.

Unfortunately, I had no takers today; however, it was a beautiful day and I swung the way I wanted to swing.

Jerry:
I love your version of my favorite winter pattern! I'll be swinging some Hopes on a dry line for winter steel tomorrow too. Good luck to you. I'm hoping to get the skunk off.

Todd
Todd: how did you fair today with your Winter Hopes?

MZilliox Thats really good tying. that wingset is sweet, and the topping sets it off. really well done best of luck at the coast!!!! show us the photos of one in the side of a chrome jaw
MZilliox: You will be the first to see that beauty pinned in a chrome mouth in the near future.

Thanks again. This is a great place to be part of.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That is one of the sweetest WH's I've seen. Very sleek, and looks like it's already fishing. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Aaron

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
aaronostoj That is one of the sweetest WH's I've seen. Very sleek, and looks like it's already fishing. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Aaron
Thanks Aaron. I can't take all of the credit. The materials I purchased from you were critical in pulling it off.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Todd: how did you fair today with your Winter Hopes?
My stream was dropping and clear so I took the opportunity to fish a beatutiful Winter's Hope variation that Mike Papais (GR8LAKESFLYER) tied and gifted me with a few weeks ago.

I also took advantage of the 48-50 degree water temps and skated my foam skaters for a good portion of the day. Net result: my friend Craig had a brief hookup on a black/blue marabout fished off a short tip and I got casting practice and character building from going yet another trip with no steelhead. I did raise a steelhead to a skater last monday so will continue trying for a winter run on top if the mild conditions continue.

Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got casting practice and character building from going yet another trip with no steelhead.
Todd,
I could not have said it better. Yesterday was once again a great day to be in nature on a river; practicing my cast, building character, and swinging a fly tied by my own two hands. I haven't really tried skating flies on the surface that much. However, now that I am committed to swing dry line techniques all year - loved the way it just felt yesterday - I will have to try skating your Little Wang or the Freebird as soon as possible.

Jeremiah

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Todd,
I could not have said it better. Yesterday was once again a great day to be in nature on a river; practicing my cast, building character, and swinging a fly tied by my own two hands. I haven't really tried skating flies on the surface that much. However, now that I am committed to swing dry line techniques all year - loved the way it just felt yesterday - I will have to try skating your Little Wang or the Freebird as soon as possible.

Jeremiah
Cool, hope your dry line pursuit and skating continue to bring pleasure out on the water. I've yet to bring a chromer to hand this winter, but I've been having great days out there. Keeping the faith that all the "character building days" will eventually bring a great reward, and it will be sweet when it happens!

Todd

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've yet to bring a chromer to hand this winter, but I've been having great days out there.
I am in the same boat as you Todd. I had a great summer/fall season swinging for steelhead, but nothing to hand yet this winter. Keep up the faith.

If you don't mind, could you PM me the materials list for the Freebird" pattern that you mentioned on your blog post? Thanks.

Jeremiah

1 - 16 of 16 Posts