Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope the catfish like this:)

whats the correct order for the JC cheeks - after or before the wings?- I see both done.

Will

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Very nice job, especially for your first try. I like the orange and red hackle you used for a sunset type effect.

As for the JC I always put mine on last so they stand out more.

-sean

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
You got it right

Looks very nice.

The Spey police would say to use a flatter hook like the Dai 2271

2 Characteristics of Dees were they were much larger than Speys of the day and they were tied on flat shanked hooks.

Another characteristic would be the flat, divided Dee style wing instead of the joined, humped Spey style wing.

Personally I like it and I think the catfish will go for it.

Here's another one...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ty all for the encouragement:) They are fun tie . I think i'll try a Dunt next.

Speyman - ty for interesting info on hook shape. I did tie the wings Dee style ,but I suspect I choose slips that were too soft as they seem to want to sit curved.

Will

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Will,

Your fly looks very good and if you hadn't mentioned it was your first dee, I would never have known. As Sean mentioned, I always tie the jungle cock in last, as do all the good tyers of dee flies I know.

There is nothing wrong with having the wings sit a bit curved, some feathers have more of a curve in them than others. If you ever get to see in person and not in a photograph some antique dee flies, or those tied by the modern masters such as Veverka or Lemire, you will notice that the wing curvature varies from fly to fly because of this variation in feathers.

By the way, if you would like to tie dees on the long, flat shanked hooks used in days gone by, any of the well made 6xl-8xl limerick bend streamer hooks used for tying classic feather wing streamers of the Carrie Stevens style in #1-#4 work well, especially if you cut the eye off making it a blind eye hook. And if you want an extra long dee hook, the Partridge Carrie Stevens hooks that are 10xl are perfect (provided you cut the eye off it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts