Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
RL Winston, David L. Reid, Hardy
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been slacking at the vise lately, been busy with work and life (the gf is having health issues unfortunately).
I ended up purchasing a lot of old hooks, they were all rusted and the finish was chipping. I’ve been going down the rabbit hole of refinishing them, and have gotten the rust removed and the hooks sanded. They’re ready for japanning now. Anywho, looking at some old photos from some folks on the Facebook forums has inspired me to work on the Ghost flies, which I’ve been wanting to tie forever. Since I’m now hunting for all the correct materials (only 2 more to go!) Finding the correct hooks was near impossible, so I reworked a GS 8/0 Bartleet into this Wm. Bartleet.

Cheers,
Jake

P.S. hopefully will finish my Glasso flies for the swap over the long weekend!

Automotive exterior Font Rim Metal Circle

Wood Font Asphalt Metal Fashion accessory

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
823 Posts
I’ve been slacking at the vise lately, been busy with work and life (the gf is having health issues unfortunately).
I ended up purchasing a lot of old hooks, they were all rusted and the finish was chipping. I’ve been going down the rabbit hole of refinishing them, and have gotten the rust removed and the hooks sanded. They’re ready for japanning now. Anywho, looking at some old photos from some folks on the Facebook forums has inspired me to work on the Ghost flies, which I’ve been wanting to tie forever. Since I’m now hunting for all the correct materials (only 2 more to go!) Finding the correct hooks was near impossible, so I reworked a GS 8/0 Bartleet into this Wm. Bartleet.

Cheers,
Jake

P.S. hopefully will finish my Glasso flies for the swap over the long weekend!

View attachment 392885
View attachment 392886
Congrats.....the rehab is looking good. Do you have to retemper these irons?
Regards....Jim

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats.....the rehab is looking good. Do you have to retemper these irons?
Regards....Jim
Thanks Jim! I probably would if I was going to fish them, as they’re pretty brittle and bendy, but since I have no plans to fish them I’m not gonna bother with it.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
823 Posts
Thanks Jim! I probably would if I was going to fish them, as they’re pretty brittle and bendy, but since I have no plans to fish them I’m not gonna bother with it.
Well...I think you should reconsider. The flies that may not rate being displayed due to a minor imperfection, would probably fish very well.

I value the flies that I have have landed a nice salmon or steelie on, as they make interesting displays and serve as templates for a successful pattern. These flies are mounted and labeled on a memorable scotch, whiskey, or bourbon cork topper, according to their success and serve a second function, reminding me which spirts I enjoyed. The vintage 1930 era # 1 white winged Dee Ackroyd that set my personal best distance hookup while fishing Far and Fine Off, is impaled on the topper of a superlative Bunnahabhain XXV single malt I treated myself to upon retirement.

I have a number of vintage hooks from Reddich that have some surface rust spots. How did you remove the surface on your hooks? Is there a solvent that will remove rust while being easy on the Japanese finish?

Regards....Jim

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well...I think you should reconsider. The flies that may not rate being displayed due to a minor imperfection, would probably fish very well.

I value the flies that I have have landed a nice salmon or steelie on, as they make interesting displays and serve as templates for a successful pattern. These flies are mounted and labeled on a memorable scotch, whiskey, or bourbon cork topper, according to their success and serve a second function, reminding me which spirts I enjoyed. The vintage 1930 era # 1 white winged Dee Ackroyd that set my personal best distance hookup while fishing Far and Fine Off, is impaled on the topper of a superlative Bunnahabhain XXV single malt I treated myself to upon retirement.

I have a number of vintage hooks from Reddich that have some surface rust spots. How did you remove the surface on your hooks? Is there a solvent that will remove rust while being easy on the Japanese finish?

Regards....Jim
I just won’t fish this because it’s so large, just ethics wise. That and the sheer amount of money in rare materials for Ghost 😅

I’m not sure about removing rust without messing with the finish, because mine were all well past the point of salvaging the japanning. I used a solution of distilled white vinegar and salt, and let them soak for about a day. There is still minor pitting in the metal, but shallow enough that it will be smooth when I Japan them again.

·
Registered
826 Posts
nice jake . about the only way to get those older style hooks w/o selling your first born .
that blacker page on facebook is " off the hook " 🤣

1 - 6 of 6 Posts