Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm fairly new to the fly fishing world. Live in the lower mainland in BC and have been fishing a double handed rod for about 7 months now.. I first commissioned this fly from my brother and have since tied a couple variations of it, this is the first version I tied on my own! I found it worked extremely well for summer runs in August once they had seen a bunch of different offerings!

If you have any tips or anything it would be much appreciated!

Attachments

·
flailing less
490 Posts
The proportions are good, the color choices work too. Right amount of "twinkle". Mounted on a whiskey cork--what's not to like? For a beginning effort, very nice. It will fish just fine.

Just for comparison's sake, tie another with two changes: shorter-fibered body palmering hackle, and mallard flank collar tied so that the fibers sweep to the rear. See if you like the way one or the other looks and swims better.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
here's a long list

1. shorten your head.
2. even your tinsel spacing.
3. pretend anyone even slightly important gives a ****.

cheers,
tie a set of six before you ask another (see: answer your own) question,

shawn

ps. that's really good for a first, mate. really good.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Your fly looks great. The guys above have given you sound advice. The visual components of a fly, it's balance and structure, only come with experience. Tying multiples (in a row) of a specific fly, will give you the opportunity to self evaluate and see the progress. I do it still, it's very helpful.

Keep tying, keep posting.

Scott.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Since this is the beginning of the journey, set it aside as a memento. You'll be amazed how you progress over time. YouTube has a bunch of good tying vids....caddis fly shop, redshed, OPST (on Vimeo).

·
Undertaker
1,356 Posts
Thanks for the tip

Hey guys I'm fairly new to the fly fishing world. Live in the lower mainland in BC and have been fishing a double handed rod for about 7 months now.. I first commissioned this fly from my brother and have since tied a couple variations of it, this is the first version I tied on my own! I found it worked extremely well for summer runs in August once they had seen a bunch of different offerings!

If you have any tips or anything it would be much appreciated!
As one who's always searching for that "key to success" all successful flies are of interest. Royal blue and purple - what's not to like. Keep it up.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
For a beginner that is a GREAT fly! I would agree with the specific tips the more experienced guys gave you, but considering your lack of time at the vise I'm more than impressed. Most important tip to getting better is to keep tying, a lot!
Cheers,
JB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I had my brother kind of coach me through some of the parts. ( I had real trouble with the head as you can kind of see)

Lots of good info on the site looking forward to hopefully contributing some too!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Not to worry about the 'head.'

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I had my brother kind of coach me through some of the parts. ( I had real trouble with the head as you can kind of see)

Lots of good info on the site looking forward to hopefully contributing some too!
Fish don't give a xxxt. Only thing is use thinned down 'Helly Hanson Hard as nails' finger nail polish for head cement. Couple coats of the above then one 'full strength. After that those threads aren't going anywhere. :smokin:

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
The proportions are good, the color contrasts work too. Right amount of "twinkle". Mounted on a whiskey cork--what's not to like? For a beginning effort, very nice. It will fish just fine.

Just for comparison's sake, tie another with two changes: shorter body palmering hackle, and mallard flank collar tied so that the fibers sweep to the rear. See if you like the way one or the other looks and swims better.
Agreed in each regard.

·
Administrator
19,093 Posts
Great job !!
I can see why it does well .
Some very good advise from the lads above , keep tying and posting your progression :)

Mike

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Very nice job on your first fly. It shows that you've been paying attention to what you've been reading herein and elsewhere. You are off to a great start!

All the advice and suggestions already offered are right on and I have nothing to add to them. I will say that by tying at least 6 of the same fly all the same size before moving on to a different one will advance your tying far faster than any other thing you can do. This is because you will notice what you'd like to change and begin to make small adjustments to the fly to make it look better. Plus, you will always have plenty of flies so you want worry about losing them when fishing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts