Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I started tying about a month ago and after a while of goofing up woolly buggers I began expanding my reach a bit. check out the photos and let me know what you think. any comments or suggestions would be awesome. the pink and green are intended to be a form of shad dart and the little guys are intended to be a Cahill and small a stone fly...

don't be shy you wont hurt my feelings. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Pretty good efforts for a noob. If you properly gauge your dry fly hackle length ( width of hook gape) you won't have to trim them w scissors and they will look so much nicer. Nice job starting out !

·
Registered
226 Posts
Flies

Any chance there is a local fly fishing club that you could join. They would have members that teach and they should have tying nights.

Some things are best learned live; books and youtube are great but getting hands on help is priceless

Grant

PS all my flies looked like yours for the first year or 2 until I got help

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you did those on your own, and they are your first, I say, 'nice work!'. The recommendations you've received are good. If you can find someone to help you (i.e., a local tying club, etc.), it will literally save you months of headaches. That said, if you enjoy the process of learning on your own, and making it your own, keep at it. Keep posting. There are some excellent feather hounds here who are also really willing to offer insights. I think these look very good for first attempts. Welcome to the addiction. :)

P.S. That is a killer Cahill for a first attempt. Take the scissors to the hackle (cut it even with the hook barb), grease it up, and skate it away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! right now I'm sqeezin pennies because id like to buy a jet boat for fishing the Delaware river this year. ill learn what I can for now from youtube and old fashioned trial and error. but id like to take a class someday. do people benefit from the hackle gage? even if i had one how do you know what "gage" or size to use on different size hooks?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Use your hook for a gauge. Just faux wrap the hackle before tying in to judge length. You are off to a great start. Stick with it and keep posting

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good start

Id fish 'em no prob, certainly a good start. Second all above r.e. the hackles on the dry, other that that keep at 'er. Cudos to you on the post, I'm still working up the courage to post anything in contrast to the extreme skill of the tiers on this board!

Good job, keep tyin' and rip some lips!
Malcolm

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Not to change direction of this thread but I've been seeing a lot of "need the courage to post type stuff"... DO IT!!! I am willing to bet nobody is going to make fun of you and I promise it will only make you better. We have all been there, when I look at my stuff from a year ago I just laugh but those flies and the help of everyone here has helped me develop the abilities I do now, a year from now I'll say the same thing about my current flies!
JUST DO IT!!!!

Here's a couple to show the difference of a year and the help of this forum.

Attachments

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
You are off to a good start.

The tail on your CAHILL is a bit long. Catskill style dries ought to have a tail that is about the length of the hook shank (i.e. distance from end of shank-place where hook eye starts-to where the hook bend starts). The body would look better if sparser/thinner. Just use less dubbing to do this.

If you re going to tie trout dry flies, do yourself a favor and spend the small amount of money (Griffin's runs around $5.00) and get yourself a Hackle Gage. It is far easier to size dry fly hackles with the use of a Hackle Gage than with the use of the hook gape. Heck, when I was tying commercially, I would pull the feathers off a neck, size them, put all of the same size in a pile (yes, I had multiple piles), and then put all the hackles of the same size into a zip-lock bag and write the size on it with a black Sharpie. When I would sit down to tie flies, I just take the bag of the color I need in the size I need, and start tying.

Even if you don't size all the hackles on a neck at the same time, the Hackle Gage lets you size them much easier and faster. Your flies will look a lot better when the hackle is sized correctly to the hook size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts