Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My first attempt at a "spey style" fly. I have been tying my own flies for a few years but never anything in a classical style.

After viewing some of the amazing flies tied on here so had to give it a shot.

All advice/comments welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
926 Posts
That's actually a pretty sexy little bug. Might have to do that one myself

Reactions: Bromium

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Great Start the future looks promising for sure , nice tie

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I am pretty sure Bromium that if you check the forum rules you are not permitted to tie such a neat and beautiful fly with only 27 posts and for your first spey fly!! Love the blue and gold colors combination. Very well done, looking forward to your future posts!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words guys after some more research looking at some great ties on here I had a second attempt trying to improve some areas. Hackled up from the last 3 turns of tinsel and wire to the head, lengthened the tail (maybe shouldn't have) used Silver tinsel and wire ( definitely shouldn't have gold looked better with the purple I think) and brought the head closer to the eye in turn lengthening the wing.

·
Administrator
18,322 Posts
For any attempt, not just first, these are very neat.

Just a note on proportions, keep the hackles sparse, strip one side off before placing and winding. You can see from the photo, your hackles are starting to out weigh your wing, which will cause improper keeling and flip your fly up side down under water tension. What also helps is to not pull the hackle fibers under the shank, keep them flowing around the shank. That will help balance the material flow somewhat.
Just trying to help here, not trying to shoot down your efforts :)

Mike

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Thanks Mike, I will definitely implement those changes on the next attempt I also think I may have made the body too long but lots of fun learning none the less.
Point of hook shold be your stop point on the majority of irons and tag if incorporated to the barb on most irons.. Good guide

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Hoping to lend a helping hand with a few key pointers I think will help you nail the style just a tad closer.

Use an equidistant ribbing arrangement - with the tinsel and wire at different tie-in points.
Rib the body opposite direction of the hackle - if you didn't already. That's just typical of the style.
Bodies typically extend to the bend of the shank, or... to just above the hook-point when tied on a humped-hook like these.

Personally, when dressing spey flies anymore I leave the tag out all-together. Tags/tips on speys don't do much of what they are intended to as part of butt-arrangements in other styles. I've tied tags on speys in the past also - then realized that the ribbing is all that is needed. And there are many different ribbing arrangements on speys. Check out a Dallas fly just for example.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts