Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got two IG Speys today in the mail but didn´t have time to go down to the river and try them out. However, an hour´s worth of casting on the pond put a big smile on my face! Excellent lines! I bought the 10/11 65 ft floater for the 9/10 top of my B&W Kola 15,3 and the 11/12 65 ft medium sinker for the 10/11 top. These lines are very slick and supple, seems like real good quality coating. Nice and long front taper, though not overly long, and a decent back taper. The level tip was a tad too long so I cut it about 20 cm (since I either use 10 ft Poly leaders + 8-9 ft of flourocarbon or a really long fine tapered leader for "greased line" fishing I really don´t need overly long tips).

Turn over was fantastic, no matter how "bad" I was casting. I kept the colour change anywhere between the rod tip or at my hands and it loaded the rod well no matter what. With the colour change at the rod tip of course I hade to make a slightly bigger D-loop and use a bit of weight transfer to make most out of it. Since the line shoots so well there´s really no need to leave that much line out of the rod tip. It seemed to work best when the colour change was somewhere right between rod tip and reel, which means that the rod tip is somewhere in the middle of the rear taper. (Of course, since this was on still water it might be a totally different situation in real fishing situations!)

The lines had no problems turning over a 10 cm Cone Head Temple Dog and remaining straight in the air despite the blustery wind we had today. Especially the combo of the med sink and the B&W rod was heavenly. Very responsive. All I had to do to cut through the wind was to squeeze the rod slighly harder in the forward delivery, without actually applying more power, resulting in a very sexy tight loop indeed.

The taper also allows good feel on shorter distances (something I think my sometimes Windcutter lacks). Mid distance casting is of course done without shooting any line, since the head is 65 ft and with my leader set-up (around 18 ft) I only needed to shoot about 15-16 ft to put the fly 30 yards out. Easiest 30 yards I´ve ever cast! Turn over was still excellent. By the sound my reel was making when the running line I had pulled out shot off, I can tell that great distances will be no problem with this set up. I made myself stop right there instead of trying to cast even longer. Always better to really get to know the combo before attempting those 40 yard casts. (You know, waiting for that "zen spey" feeling when the line just shoots and shoots and you have no idea why, since you hardly used any power at all )

My only complaint is that the colour change on the med sinker could be more radical. This version goes from a moss green head to a foam green running line, which makes the transition a bit hard to see in certain lights. No big deal, I´ll make a tiny marker on the running line with a few turns of tippet material anyways, indicating when I got the colour change at the rod tip. The floater has a yellow head and a light blue running line = good contrast.

Would be nice to try it out along with, say, a Rio MidSpey. Compared to my WC it´s smoother thanks to the longer head (and longer rear taper) and a bit more supple. But the IG:s can still be treated as shooting heads (or short head spey lines). Why I don´t know. A person more trained in the physics of spey casting and taper profiles could probably explain. I managed to keep my rather compact and economical casting style even when casting with the whole head out of the rod tip.

Would be interesting to hear what others have to say about these fine little lines!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You´re in for a treat, boys!

I´m getting the intermediate as well. But I won´t bother with the 75 ft version. The 65 ft shoots so well there´s no point I feel.

Really love that med sinker. I´ll put my clunky sink tips far away in the closet this season.

One notice though, as Ian told me when I was asking about the right line weights for my 15-footer: If you cast using a really short and quick stroke, use the same weight on both line and rod. My 9/10 Kola is a true 9/10 and if I wanted to cast in a proper Scando/Skagit style with a little over hang, I would use the 9/10 line. However, for me, these lines are meant for easy and relaxed casting letting my rod do the work, so I´m fine with the 10/11. It´s in no way slow and swampy anyhow (see my post above). And as for the 11/12 med sink on the 10/11 top, spring fishing with sinking lines and big flies needs a rather relaxed and controlled stroke, so the 11/12 is perfect for that.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Willie Gunn said:
Well I cast the 75ft head Med Sinker today and landed my first spring salmon of 2005 on opening day on the Dee.
Congratulations! You´re a lucky lucky man to have access to such fine water this early in the season. :)

Was it liced and straight from the sea?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Willie Gunn said:
No not liced. but I was looking. There were some liced ones about
What fly?

Here the fresh run springers don´t arrive until late April/early May. They don´t become plentiful until late May/early June so I´ve got a heck of a lot of weeks ahead of me until I get a reasonable chance of even seeing a springer :(

·
Registered
886 Posts
flytyer said:
Malcolm,

Glad to hear you got a fish. Would you might have caught that fish on the Mieser 16'?
Of course it was on the Meiser, rod of choice these days.

Fredrick, it was on a yellow Pot Bellied Pig, if you want the dressing or any tied Gordon Armstrong (fishingd0) is your man.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Poor old B&W

Malcolm

Never thought I would see the day that you B&W's would be gathering dust. :tsk_tsk:

Gordon

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Willie Gunn said:
Of course it was on the Meiser, rod of choice these days.

Fredrick, it was on a yellow Pot Bellied Pig, if you want the dressing or any tied Gordon Armstrong (fishingd0) is your man.
Can I have the dressing, Gordon? :) That fly appears very often in catch reports, I´ve noticed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What is it about the UK manufacturers that they don't seem to want to make steelhead sized lines? I'd consider one of their lines if they'd come in 6-7, 7-8 and 8-9.. In my opinion a 10 wt is just too big for steelhead fishing, at least everywhere i have been

·
Registered
76 Posts
can you get these on mail order

fredtrout said:
Really love that med sinker. I´ll put my clunky sink tips far away in the closet this season.

i want to put my sink tips away too :smokin: maybe leave some thing here or in my pm folder on were to buy them when you get a chance thanks and tight lines brownie1013
<'}}}}>~~~<

·
Registered
639 Posts
Rob

Did you not like the Carron we cast on the big stick at hathaway park? They make that in a 9/10 that would rock on those 8/9 burkies. Maybe we can get one down to you to try :hihi:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try-out pt 2

Tried the 11/12 medium sinker today in actual fishing situation. The closest river to my home, Kävlingeån, is not a salmon river (although the odd salmon is caught) but good for sea trout (and world-renowned for huge pike). It´s never wider than about 30 yards so I couldn´t really do much distance casting but since there´s no doubt that these lines are great for distance, that´s no problem. Despite the cold weather the line still felt supple and slick. Turn over was great, I even tried a super fast sinking Poly leader and a 10 cm Temple Dog with a tungsten cone head and it still worked perfect. It casts straight and with authority, with great rythm and responsiveness. I also found out today that it is rather forgiving to mistakes, which is good this early in the year when you´re a bit rusty. As long as you keep the colour change close to your hands one roll cast is enough prior to speying (even with the heaviest polyleader). The river I fished is pretty slow but rather deep in the long pools, but since I landed a few sea trout kelts I must have been fishing deep enough. I believe that the depth you achieve with a full medium sinker should equal what you get when using a type 6 sink tip (without a compensator). I mostly did single speys but snap t:s also worked well, even with the heavy leader and big fly. A great, truly wonderful line!

One of these kelts was actually a real whopper, at about 75-80 cm in length, with re-appearing silvery sides, putting a really nice bend to my B&W Kola. Yummy! Makes me long even more for the salmon season! :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I cast the 10-11 on the 8139 and it was massively overloaded, ot also massivly overloaded the 9143 which is the largest rod i fish.. the 9-10 would have to be much much much much lighter for me to use it on the 8139.. on top of that it would have to cast amazingly well for me to fork over 150 bucks and it would have to be extremely easy to get!

I liked how the carron line cast on the big rod it's obviously a beautiful casting line I just don't see the need for one in the fishing I do it simply doesn't cast twice as well as a midspey or XLT.. Until it does i am content to spend half as much on a line so I can afford the gas to actually go fishing..

What i mean is that it's a great line but it ain't 150 bucks great.. get the price reasonable and i'd consider it.. On the other hand I am all for capitalism if the guys have a demand for a product that's great more power to them:)

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Rob these new lines will be around $100 and are very similiar to the carrons. They are listed at 55 sterling which if the dollar did not suck so much would put them in the xlt/gspey price range. However for todays exchange it will be in the $100 range. So they will be a little easier on the wallet and if ole Bush can get the economy going again they will get even cheaper.

-sean

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.