Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Knee Deep
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally completed my first married wing!

In February 2011 was posting fairly regularly, and then suddenly quit posting. I was diagnosed with Leukemia at that time. I managed to survive this nasty disease; currently completing my last round of Chemotherapy.

As I was recovering, I silently checked the tying section from time to time. I became intrigued with the thought of tying and fishing married wing flies. I've now completed the first step, and I'm looking forward to hooking my first fish on these wonderful creations.

I still have some proportion issues to work out, but I finally completed one!

-Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Hi Tony

WOW !!!!!!:Eyecrazy:
This is great fly you did.
Tag and tail good colors and body,hackle,wing wonderfull combination.
You will be fishing with this fly and hunt for sure Tony.
I hopefully you getting better and your gonna using this fly on the rivers.
Thanks Tony,You put your time to post this pages.;)
Jin.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Congrats on beating leukemia - that is a huge win. Doing that and tying married wing flies shows serious grit. Looking forward to seeing more of your flies!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Wow, great fly. Hang in there man. I can't imagine going through what you have. Grit is right!

I'd say you've got the discipline to do pretty much whatever you want to do with married wings, based on this example.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Congrats, on both the fly and your medical triumph. The fly looks fantastic, really love the colors.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Very nicely done first married wing. Your tying skills show.

Proportion wise, the only things I'd change are: 1) shorten the tail a tad, this will bring it in line with the top rear of the wing where it belongs; 2) make the wing one more married group section wider to better ballance the size of the hook. It will still be slick and streamlines with the addition of one more married group section, but it will fill-in the "empty space" now present; and 3) make sure the Kingfisher tail veiling is tied in flat over the top of the tail.

It is nice to see someone who put forth a lot of effort and who paid attention to the details that make married wing tough to tie (at least until one learns how to do them).

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Very clean and expertly tied. I agree with Russ re: the tail, but in the broad scheme of things....this is quite a remarkable 1st married wing

dave

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well it must feel real good to be down to your last chemo.

Seems a new found interest in tying and fishing married wing fly's would be top notch spiritual medicine for you right about now.

Seems the place to be as there are several whom enjoy simular here.

I am not a married wing guy, but your tie sure looks good to me and I do wish you the best Tony and hope 2012 is brighter for you sir.

·
Knee Deep
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys!

I really appreciate your kind words and suggestions. I think I will give this pattern another go this weekend.

-Tony:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts