Spey Pages banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Friday evening I had the opportunity to go do some casting practice after having cut an additional 16 inches off of the back of the line. I am amazed at the difference that made. I am very happy with the results and may grow to not regret having cut the line to start with this latest adjustment. I can clearly cast further than I need to to catch fish, but it is very nice to have a slow swing, and to not have to strip in so much line, but more important than that I love the feel of launching that much line and having it lay out so nicely. It will also be nice to not need to strip any line when it is cold, if we get the opportunity to fish for steelhead here this winter.
cal

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've really enjoyed following this thread - a lot of good info here. I have inherited a Meiser 15' 7/8/9 HC from my cousin who passed away last year. I haven't had the rod out yet, too many ghosts. But I think I need to get that rod out for a session pretty soon. A 15 footer will be a new experience and am intrigued with all the different Gaelforce line choices for the long rods, especially the 15M ESH.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Glad that you found your balance with the Gaelforce 83. I am finding similar balance with the same rod and line with some of the rear taper pulled in the guides (I still have the integrated line).

Todd
I used this rod for a couple of hours on the Columbia where I originally wanted a rod that would reach a little farther. I am certainly getting the distance that I wanted.

Chinook and Choho are in the river, but none co-operated for me today nevertheless, I was very pleased with how the rod/line combination performed while fishing the big river conditions. I even got a "Wow!!!" from the fish checker when I made a cast as he was leaving to go up river. I did find that I can't cast a fly with a heavy tungsten bead with this line yet, but with a signal light in a 2/0 a cone headed muddler size 6 or a Tube fly about 3" long I don't have any problems. I am not ready for Bob (a.k.a. Spey Spaz) to make a 150' shooter for me yet, but they day could come in due time.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
After using this rod for a little over a year with the Vector XL, the GF 73 and the GF 83, I find myself using the GF 73 the most followed by the Vector XL. The 83 is just a tad heavy and the cut line is not as much fun to cast as the 73. I could trim a little more of of the 83, but then I would only be 7-8 feet longer than the GF 73.

I am really enjoying using this long rod and longer lines. I just need to curb my appetite for longer casts and just enjoy the ease of fishing where I couldn't before and getting a slower swing as well.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I have come to similar conclusions with this amazing rod and line matches. I agree the GF 83 is more of a challenge to cast on this rod and I find needing "ideal" conditions to make it work. If wading deep, tight to backside brush, or in unfavorable winds, the GF83 can be a bear to cast. That being said, it is an amazing line when my technique and conditions can make it work.

Todd

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
@cmann886 - what casts are you trying?

I have been following this discussion, as I bought this blank from Steve. As I discussed this with Steve, I was very much interested in developing my skills-opinion on handle design and weighting. So at this moment, the top 4 sections are competed. After looking at the blank, I decided not to do anything fancy thread work and all guides are on black (dark grey) thread.

I am definitely not trying to out-do Steve or Bob on thread work or feather inlays. So blakck stealth is the theme.

What is not complete is the bottom section, but the reel seat is on (can still move it), so I am able to cast and experiment.

At this moment, I think I like the Vector XL and I believe this is because the core is stiffer and I think I am holding my loops better than the GF 73. Of course, the GL73 is heavier. To test, this out, I have a GL 63.

Right after I complete some needed upgrades in the "shop", I think I am going with the Top Hand grip to be natural cork on the top and the bottom third rubberized cork (which is dense (heavy)). I keep coming back to liking the ball joint from Bob as the best shape for me. While wood looks nice and heavy, I am like "holding" the rubberized cork, when it is wet. Probably more mental than reel.

The alternative design was natural cork to blackwood (like bagpipe blackwood), Meiser black metal reel seat, blackwood and then closing off with rubberized cork. Ideally, after my next business trip, I will finish making up my mind and finish off the bottom section.

In the end, I am also thinking about how to get a rod that is nicely weight below the top hand and keep to a 12oz or less reel (which may be unrealistic). I am definitely not built like Simon G, id est, I am more short and stout, with the arms to match.

I have not chopped the lines into heads.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
@raspberry-patch,
I have also found the Vector XL 8/9 660gr @65' to be the overall best balanced line for this rod. The GF 73 is actually around 59.5' at the color change and the GF 83 is actually 71' at the color change, so those are the actual lengths you are casting outside the rod tip with those lines.

My 16'7" 7wt Quantum is built by Steve very similar to Cal's rod. I also love the "scalloped egg" with the textured burl cork on the lower grip.

I had been using a modern 4 1/4 perfect which balanced well enough on the rod. But I just recently experimented with mounting my much heavier prewar 4 1/4 perfect on the rod and found it to be a great match on this rod. I believe I saw someone post that this reel weighs 22oz. Just a point of reference for you as you are planning to use a much lighter reel on your rod.

Wishing you the best on your build, sounds like a beautiful rod!

Todd

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I picked up a 15 M #9 head from Gael Force when I stopped in to see Poppy during a recent trip to Kooskia. It is the easiest casting of anything I have used on this rod so far…described by Bruce K. As it will make anyone feel like a rock. That is an amazingly accurate description. It won’t be replacing the other GF lines or the Vector XL but when I want to use my long rod but don’t want to work or concentrate, this is the line that I will use.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
@cmann886 - did you try the 8wt (642 grain) to?
I did not. my original plan was to test cast both but opted to just purchase the #8 and then based on the weights of the Vector XL that I have that is 660 grains and the Equalizer in a73 and 83. I contacted Poppy to see if he would swap it for the #9 as I had not opened the package yet and decided that I didn’t want anything lighter than the XL.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I just picked up a Loop Classic 10-13 with 300 yards of Dacron backing and it balances perfectly with any of my Gaelforce lines. Index finger at the color change on the fore grip and is just sits there with just a very slight down angle to help keep any slack line dangling during the swing. I could not be happier with the balance.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Right now, I cannot decided, which I prefer Gaelforce 73 89 or the Vector XL 89. My rod is nearly complete, and it has been a lot of fun to build slowly, fish, update, et cetera.

The rod has a nice reach, and it has a little zip-kick at the end, which I really like.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts