Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
I鈥檒l post this again. For optimal performance ( very important) cut up into the head from the color change 6 inches to a foot. The loop to loop should never have to come back inside the top eye till you either catch a fish or reel in to move or go home.
these pics should help 馃槑
Gadget Terrestrial plant Electronic device Audio equipment Wire
Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Eyewear Rim
Peripheral Gadget Audio equipment Cable Font
Twig Terrestrial plant Plant Gas Wire

BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
Make the loop anyway you want but again that cut point makes a world of difference

BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
This is how the cut head came from Poppy. I used the yellow loop to help protect the welded loop on the back end. Looks like I need to do some work on it and re-cut it on the other side of the the color change.

View attachment 376869
Yep you will find a huge difference

Reactions: GR8LAKES FLYER

BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
I must have misread your first posting of this some time ago ...
Howeve, I seem to be getting along just fine with where I cut them, 4" from the colour change and then added my loop.
The heads have been casting fine ... I am reluctant to chop again.
Maybe on my next line I'll try it your way Bruce.

Mike
You would be very very surprised how much better it is. Even with what you have going on or the full line the recommended magic SPOT is one inch of the green (head) inside the rod tip 馃檭
This is from the genius himself James Chalmers

Reactions: GR8LAKES FLYER

BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
Mike;

Could you please share with us the rod that you use and whether or not you have the 15M EESH's that you use cut for heads or use them as they come? What type of feel and distance do you get from them with your rod? I am still debating on which one to get next. the 15M or the Equalizer 83.

thanks

cal
Cal for what it鈥檚 worth the 83 is for 16 ft plus rods and will cast much further than the 15m line but that 15m will make anyone feel like a rockstar lol

BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
Make no mistake, the 15M EESH is an awesome shooting head for 16ft rods and longer. Like Bruce mentioned, it makes you feel like a rockstar shooting all that line!!
It still has that perfect balance that Gaelforce lines are known for.
If you want a "tips" line, don't chop the 15M EESH. Gaelforce has the EMT and the EEMT. The EEMT is a better option for tips for rods greater than 14ft in my opinion.

Mike
Yes please do not cut the 15M head for tips lol

BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
Bruce... what kind of wire strippers are those?
I have 3 sets at home and they either make a mess of the fly line or cut it in two.
like this

Reactions: SASQUATCH

BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
Bruce; another owner of this rod and I have been discussing its performance and as much as we each like the Vector XL in 660 grains, we both like the Gaelforce 83 8/9 and the way it lays out better. I also have the 73. To be hones I cast the 73 better than the 83 at this point but still prefer the 83 when things come together. Both Todd and I have independently come to the conclusion that the 83 is just a tad heavy for this rod. Todd has the integrated line so it is easy for him to just strip in a little more line and let it rid. I could do the same but hate it when the knot catches on the guides when I am casting so I am considering cutting an additional 12-18 inches off of the 83 as that seems to balance well for me. I have two questions for you.

1. How do I determine if the optimum line weight with this taper for my rod before I cut the line again? Is there anything that I can do other than "choke up" a bit like I had to when I was getting used to a longer baseball bat when I was a kid?

2. As I can't uncut the line, I want to make certain that more practice would would be all that is needed to reach optimum performance.

I am determined to consistently get another 20 feet with this line that I occasionally get and I at the same time I want the easy casting feel that I have when using a shorter line like the 73 or the Vector XL.

As always, I appreciate your perspective.

cal
Hi Cal
find your sweet spot and cut and loop and try it then if it鈥檚 good leave it if it鈥檚 not cut six inches at a time till it does feel good, really as simple as that
cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts