Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
20,461 Posts
It would have been nice to see some photos :)

Those 15M EESH's are like crack!! Very addicting!! They are shooting heads for rods that are +15ft ... shoot forever. Really fun when you feel the need to shoot line out :)
Personally, I would get the line for those fun times. They also roll out before touchdown and excel for delicate presentations. Although you have cast Gaelforce Equalizers before, so you know what I'm talking about, don't you?? ;)

Mike

·
Administrator
20,461 Posts
It sort of sounds like this rod's grain window is similar to my Mesier Highlander 16ft 6/7/8-5pc ... ??
My Meiser has a grain window of 500 to 800 grains.

Steve, I am taken back with your humbleness and humility my friend. After many conversations with you regarding line/rod marriages and witnessing your efforts first hand, I can attest that you are the "teacher and the master". My hat is off to you my friend :)

I still would like to see some photos of this rod. I know first hand that Steve builds a finely crafted rod and really wanting to see more photos of his handy work :)

Mike

·
Administrator
20,461 Posts
How are you connecting your cut equalizer to the running line? I have tied a loop using a double surgeons know (overhand knot) and do not like having the knot inside the guides.
I know that Bruce uses the same method as you describe, a double over hand loop (Double Surgeon's Knot).
I add a small braided mono loop to mine. I trim the end of the fly line to have a nice point with a sharp razor blade and thread the braided loop in as far as just under the loop. I then tie two small nail knots at the end of the braided loop using a thin dacron (12lb) and apply a thin layer of UV Aqua-Seal over the knots and the rest of the braid. It remains nice a flexible and does not create a hinge point that will cause any cracking later on.

I haven't tried welding yet, not sure if Gaelforce lines can be welded easily. I'll let someone else figure that out :)

Where do you cut the line to make it into a head only version??
I'm cutting mine at the colour change and leave about 4 to 6 inches of the colour change attached to the head portion. It is the thinner section that gets the braided mono loop attached and so far it has been perfect results for me.

PM me if you are having difficulties posting photos :)

Mike

·
Administrator
20,461 Posts
I must have misread your first posting of this some time ago ...
Howeve, I seem to be getting along just fine with where I cut them, 4" from the colour change and then added my loop.
The heads have been casting fine ... I am reluctant to chop again.
Maybe on my next line I'll try it your way Bruce.

Mike

·
Administrator
20,461 Posts
Thank you for the photos ... what an impressive rod build!!
Steve does immaculate work :cool:
What reel are you planning to strap to that stick??
It must be light in hand?? That Quantum graphite mix he has is impressively light. No comparison, but my 10ft 8wt Quantum is barely noticeable in my hand. I bet that 16'7" beast is just as light in hand.

Mike

·
Administrator
20,461 Posts
Mike;

Could you please share with us the rod that you use and whether or not you have the 15M EESH's that you use cut for heads or use them as they come? What type of feel and distance do you get from them with your rod? I am still debating on which one to get next. the 15M or the Equalizer 83.

thanks

cal
I have the 15M EESH in #8 through to #10, thinking on getting the #11 to have a full set :)
The EESH's come in the "Head Only" version, so no chopping required. I believe you can turn it into a multi-tip if you wish, but it does throw polys right off the tip. I've used the new style Rio 10ft Versi-Leaders to 4ips with no adjustment, however the 5ips requires a bit of extension and slow down. I don't like the feel of the 7ips though. Lately it's been all long mono leaders which I prefer to use.
They are an aggressive style head, but buttery smooth with the same typical full roll out prior to landing that is so Gaelforce.
The #8 is a laser beam on my 16ft 6/7/8 5 piece Highlander Classic.
I stuck on getting the 73ft 8/9 for now, if you go to the 83ft, I expect it will be the 8/9 version, correct??

Here's an old photo of my 16ft 6/7/8-5pc Highlander, done in the Red Wing Blackbird theme.

Mike

·
Administrator
20,461 Posts
Make no mistake, the 15M EESH is an awesome shooting head for 16ft rods and longer. Like Bruce mentioned, it makes you feel like a rockstar shooting all that line!!
It still has that perfect balance that Gaelforce lines are known for.
If you want a "tips" line, don't chop the 15M EESH. Gaelforce has the EMT and the EEMT. The EEMT is a better option for tips for rods greater than 14ft in my opinion.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts