Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the new Bauer RX5 reel Wednesday. My client landed the first fish on it yesterday. All I can say is it performed flawlessly. The fish was hooked in a fast section of water which is always interesting. It made a couple good long runs and the tip of the rod never flinched. No startup inertia to speak of. Best of all the reel looks fantastic! Picks to come later...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I picked up the new Bauer RX5 reel Wednesday. My client landed the first fish on it yesterday. All I can say is it performed flawlessly. The fish was hooked in a fast section of water which is always interesting. It made a couple good long runs and the tip of the rod never flinched. No startup inertia to speak of. Best of all the reel looks fantastic! Picks to come later...
Bauer sort of killed it with that reel. The machining of the spool is pretty amazing (like it more than any hatch) and they kept the weight down. I'm a clicker guy but I have been really tempted to pick up the RX.

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bauer sort of killed it with that reel. The machining of the spool is pretty amazing (like it more than any hatch) and they kept the weight down. I'm a clicker guy but I have been really tempted to pick up the RX.
I agree. The next reel on my list was a Hardy Perfect. But I am now thinking about getting an RX6 instead. Decisions, decisions...

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So now I have to add a little update. A client hooked a very hot 29" fish the other day. I don't know if he had adjusted the drag or if I had set it too tight. We were in a fast piece of water and the fish went up as we went down. At first I thought, "oh well it's probably a salmon" then it came up WAY out there. After a serious hump to get the boat back up to the fish we finally got the line back on the reel. I was about to tell the client to back the drag off because it was so tight he couldn't lift the rod tip.:whoa: I got distracted as the fish headed back to the ocean...:eek:

Long story short, I assumed the fish was on the 10lb tippet because it was not broken off. Nope, I was shocked to see it was on the 8. The Bauer protected that tippet through a lot of start and stop runs and a couple scorchers. Anyone who says "you don't need a drag on a fly reel" has obviously never met a fish like this one!

Thanks Bauer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts