Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from the Deschutes. Brought my first Deschutes fish to hand.
Was fairly slow on the river while I was there but had two others on and a few grabs and boils.

Gillie

Attachments

·
loco alto!
3,053 Posts
well done. If you sniff really hard, you can smell the salt coming off these Pacific fish!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Excellent news. I'll be out there starting on Sunday and fish til Wednesday. Glad to know there are some in the river.

Congrats on the fish. Hope to do the same.

Cheers -- Hansen

·
Registered
239 Posts
Deschutes Mid-October update:

Just got off the river after a week's worth of fishing above the White River. Fishing seems to be about average (compared to the banner years of 2001 and 2002 where we all got spoiled by 6-8 fish days). Run is apparently about 10% down from last year according to a fisheries biologist. Lots of sun and high pressure the last two weeks, a low pressure system brought clouds, rain, and wind when I left earlier today. Still very crowded around Maupin (locked gate down to Ferry Canyon) on the weekends with a ton of folks on the river today. River came up about three inches today compared to yesterday.

Averaged three fish played a day, landing one or two, an additional boil or two to liven things up each day when thinking turned towards beer. A few 30+ inch fish (hatchery bucks mostly) seen landed (some seen receiving granite shampoo). Some fish caught outside of the usual spots, which are heavily pressured. Best luck so far for me on a floater, tips have been very effective during sunlight hours for some expereinced folks floating the upper stretch, seemed like more hang down takes than usual. Some areas still seem poddy, but hooked fish from Maupin up through to Trout Creek. An occasional quite bright fish seen well above Maupin, although most were a little more colored than usual for this time of year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts