Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a shot today at the Culdrain. I opted to go w four ribs just to practice technique more than anything. Hackle is coque from a buddies barnyard rooster and is counter wound w silver wire. Special thanks to Chase Chrome and Fail To Spey for the inspiration. I'm starting to not hate BM so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
A little tip if you would like the hackle to look more evenly swept back. After tying it off milk it all back towards the rear of the fly and as you do so make 4 or 5 wraps over the barbules back to the butt with your thread. Moisten the whole thing slightly again milking it towards the rear and leave it wrapped back while you prepare your wings. When you unwrap the thread back to the front to tie in the wings you will have a hackle that does not stick out in all directions but instead flows evenly towards the tail end of the fly. Works well for married wing flies also.

·
Banned
690 Posts
Worst of it is that you get maybe two good slips per feather...friggin catastrophic...

Want the medical industrial complex to get with the programme and develop a genetically modified Mallard the size of a Turkey...

And thank you...
NB still sucks
:smokin:

Not to hijack anything here Matt...keep at it man!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys I know it's far from perfect but it's for the fishing and I'm learning, this is only my second keeper. Matt, I did tie it in from the base and stripped one side. I would've liked to have gotten some fluff but the stem was just too thick. Just your regular old barnyard rooster, loud bastard too. Double stump, thanks for your input. I'm aware of that trick but wasn't concerned at all for this tie, the barbs on that feather are incredibly supple and will be swept back during the swing. Thanks again guys. Chase....wear gloves, that stuff will chew up yer hands right quick.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Some people will split the stem at the base, I don't, its kinda luck of the draw if I get any fluff. Also this is not a critique. There's a trick I learned with the tinsel, each time you wrap one to the front, lightly secure, and screw on the tinsel from back to front take the little slack from the tag end and secure the tinsel again.

Again just a tip not a critique on this fly.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh jeez...I've burnt and split a ton of goose lately, not to mention scraping pith. Wasn't going there w this one. Good tip on the tinsel. Are those nice coque feathers your getting wrap able down that low ?

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
One of the classiest speys going.

Hasn't been covered and wondering: Which hook? Because it sporting the spey very well.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Flies like this that have multiple ribs look best to me with 4 turns of ribbing, and on a smaller hook would look best with just 3 turns. This is because the ribs are multiplied to some degree since there are both flat and oval tinsels spread evenly apart.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Couldn't agree more. I feel this pattern is overly busy, period. I'm also wondering if the flosses would even be visible when wet ? I will try this one again, I'm kicking around the idea of using some small colored holographic tinsels. It's just for fishing but I want to practice techniques too as I'm just learning. Thanks all for the feedback.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts