Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many attempts I felt this wing was passable, as a self taught novice I try to glean tips from this site and use the awesome ties by forum members as references for proportions etc. Any tips appreciated, thanks for looking

·
Registered
506 Posts
Pretty good, better than my first attempt.

Put the wings on one at a time for dees, and reverse the thread for the opposite wing. A bit of spit on the butt ends (only!!!) shrinks them enough that they will be as easy to tie in as jungle cock or feather tips.

Theres a couple more methods of course find one your good at!

·
Registered
241 Posts
fly

That's really started to come along. One of my favourite patterns. Good job M.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Good job for your first attempt! Your wing mount looks excellent! I have struggled with mounting the wings going back and forth between mounting them one and a time with reversing the thread and the other method of preparing the wings separate from the fly (compression method) and putting them on as a single unit.
I've had success with both methods. Still deciding which I like better :Eyecrazy:

·
Banned
690 Posts
Dude...an Akroyd at that...phew
I've made a huge mess of that one early on...nicely done (I know how far you've come man).

:smokin:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, Swiftcurrent's old Echo helped begin the two-handed journey and he was kind enough to give me some pointers at a local stretch and Mr. Chase's tips and flies set a standard to aim for. Lang may yer lum reek, which loosely translates to- may you always have a fire in your hearth

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
There is a lot right with the way you tied this fly. The wing length is good, tail length is good, fairly sparse dubbing, jungle cock is oriented well as it runs in a straight line from head to hook point, and nicely sized hackle on rear body section.

Here are some suggestions to make your next dee even better:

1) Make the rear body section shorter, about 40% of the total body length. This will allow the front body section to be 60% of the total body length and make for a much better balanced fly. The reason for this is the throat, spey hackle, jungle cock sides, and wing tie-in all contribute to the front body section being smaller than 1/2 body length. By making the change suggested on the length of the rear body section, this will be taken care of.

2) The jungle cock is too long. Jungle cock sides on dees look best when about 1/3 the length from tie-in to end of the feather.

3) The oval tinsel is not tight against the rear edge of the flat, and it needs to be. The oval tinsel should look like it is melded to the rear edge of the flat tinsel.

4) Both the rear body hackle and the spey hackle need to have the stems tight against the rear edge of the oval tinsel.

5) The duck flank throat would look best if the side against the hook was stripped. Doing so ensures that all the fibers flow back over the hook. Some of yours curl forward, a no, no.

6) You crowded the head. Leave a small space with nothing on it at the front of the head before the hook eye.

Make these small changes, and your dees will make a major improvement in how they look.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks flytyer, simple advice like that from a guy with experience is what makes this a great site, these are things you just can't learn by simply looking at a picture on the internet and attempting to imitate it as I did. Small details make the difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts