Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new rod (Redington 14' 9/10) down to Carnation yesterday for a day on the river. For some reason I was all wound up. I felt like a kid on my first day of Kindergarten. I could hardly contain myself.

Anyway, now I know terms like the lift, D loop, and anchor! I can also understand how important it is to practice. Before I knew it, almost three hours had passed. Also, sorry to anyone I smacked when I missed my anchor. :)

Thanks to Aaron from River Run Anglers, and Brian S., and a few others (I'm terrible at remembering names, sorry) for teaching me the way. I feel lucky to have such a great resource so close to home.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What Line?

That is exactly what mine new, and only, rod is. What line do you have on it? Snowbound in Up-state NY but hope to get something on it shortly so info would be appreciated. :)

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
congratulations on your beginning of a fine sport. aaron is a great instructor as well as mike kinney and brian styskal. i have gained great knowledge and understanding of spey casting and have made great friends from meetings on the river. welcome aboard!

vinnie

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PopnesetBay said:
That is exactly what mine new, and only, rod is. What line do you have on it?
Ha ha! This is bad. (Bad me) I can't remember what line I used on Saturday. It had a yellow head with a greenish/blue running line. I'm going to go again this Saturday and try another line. I'll report back. I still haven't purchased a line.

Vinnie, turns out that I played baseball with Brian Styskal when we were kids. It was cool to run into him again.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Brent

Good to hear you had fun, thats what it's all about. I believe the line you were using was the 9,10,11 wincutter. It did make that rod nice and responsive. Hope to see ya on the river again soon.

Brian

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Brent Comer said:
I took my new rod (Redington 14' 9/10) down to Carnation yesterday for a day on the river. For some reason I was all wound up. I felt like a kid on my first day of Kindergarten. I could hardly contain myself.
Brent,

it only gets worse. before you know it you won't be able to sleep the night before a fishing trip and afterwards you'll find yourself sitting in a bar making all sorts of rodless spey casting motions while other folks sorta look at you funny. and you'll be cutting up perfectly good fly lines to make something better. no one but a spey caster can understand such things. we spey casters are sometimes kinda like Hunter S Thompson's alter ego in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas--it's bad craziness. a friend of mine once called spey rods the heroin of fishing tackle. get out now while you still can... :saevilw:

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I Love It!!

Dana said:
we spey casters are sometimes kinda like Hunter S Thompson's alter ego in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas--it's bad craziness. a friend of mine once called spey rods the heroin of fishing tackle. get out now while you still can... :saevilw:

How true, How true! That is about the best summary of the Spey addiction I've yet to hear. I'm not sure that heroin would be quite so expensive though.

Maybe Aaron should change the name of his "Day on the river with...." to "Fear and Loathing in Carnation". :smokin:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dana said:
it only gets worse. before you know it you won't be able to sleep the night before a fishing trip and afterwards you'll find yourself sitting in a bar making all sorts of rodless spey casting motions while other folks sorta look at you funny.
On the drive home from the river I was visualizing the rod tip and the movement of line over and over. I almost drove my car into the ditch. :whoa:

Dana, I'm just starting to realize what a wealth of information is available here. I am enjoying the articles and the videos.

As to Fear and Loathing in Carnation: I can see how this can become an obsession. So many beautiful rods to choose from, so many lines.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Brent,

This is what you have to look forward to... some junkies on a remote coastal river... doin' what they do :D

Attachments

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Oooohh!

What a buffet! Looks like Dana's in shock! :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
"The Dean River Crack House"

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
My name is Sinktip and I am a spey addict. Oh sure it started out innocently enough. I was a recreational user only. You know how it is, a few times a year with friends. Before long it is 3-4 times a week. I started selling off things to feed my addiction and even worse, hiding purchases from my family and work. Next thing you know, I am grass casting. I change lines like some people change clothes. I spend hours on-line looking for the "Perfect" reel.

Heed my words, just say no!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Then I started hiding my Spey lines around the house. You know, in the tank of the toilet, up high on a shelf in my work shop. The wife soon found out how bad it was and said, “It’s me or Spey casting.” Sho am gonna miss her. I began to change jobs frequently so that the creditors couldn’t find me. Then one day I found myself on the banks of the Snoqualmie. I had just enough gas to get there, but none to get back home. It was my lowest low. I found a hall that was having a meeting in Carnation. I couldn’t believe my eyes. There were others in the hall just like me. A short fat guy with a beard said, “Relax young man, your credit is good here.” We stood around in a circle and held flies together. We prayed, “Our Spey father who art in heaven…” Then we sat around and drank coffee. Actually, Aaron never has coffee, but it doesn’t matter. We no longer had to be alone.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Brent

I guess I failed to mention all that other stuff that goes along with these two handed rods!!!! Its a life long addiction :chuckle:

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Yeah, but if I could cast like you then let me overdose!
I agree!!!!

There is even a darker side to two handers. I suggest you stay away.
If someone says "It is just a Hardy reel, try it". Run for your life.
You will end up in the gutter with that sweet sweet click, I mean
that horrible noise in your head. I got it bad man, Real bad.
Excuse me while I go fondle my reels!!!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Psst... Buddy... check this out.... it's really good S*#t

This is the Pusher Man - I can get you anything you want... :saevilw:

Attachments

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Kush man,

I got the shakes real bad! I think you better make the trip down South