Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Since I'm thinking of getting the famous and sold out book mentioned in the title, I'd like to know if these two are the same?

1) Fine and Far Off
2) Fine and Far Off. Salmon Fishing Methods in Practice

Does someone know which year the book was published? Or the years of possible later editions?

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Fine & Far Off

At least my copy is from 1952, and has a subtitle Salmon Fishing Methods In Practice, and I would assume that is is the first edition. However, as the edition # is not specifically mentioned in the book, I am not 100 % sure :D

If it were the First, the your 1) and 2) would be the same :confused: I really don't know, if this helped or not :razz:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I believe it was only a single printing in 52', and I also believe they are all called.

2) Fine and Far Off. Salmon Fishing Methods in Practice

Awesome read if you can find it which is becoming more and more difficult.

andre

·
Registered
886 Posts
Go to Amazon .co.uk type in the search box and it finds a copy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My copy is titled "Greased Line Fishing for Salmon". Compiled from the Fishing Papers of the late A. H. E. Wood, of Glassel, by
"Jock Scott"

With contibutions by the Rt. Hon. J. W. Hills, P.C.
&
G. M. La Branche

Philadelphia
J. B. Lippincott Company
Interestingly, I cannot find the publishing date anywhere in the book , but the original owner of the book. one "Harold W. Mason" of Brattleboro, VT signed the book with his name and the year "1936". According to Trey Combs(Steelhead Flyfishing, Lyons Press, 1991, p.57) the book was published by Seely, Service, and Co. , London, 1936. Other editions followed and Frank Amato Publications published the book in 1982. "Jock Scott" is the psuedonym of Mr. Donald G. Rudd who wrote the book using the Wood papers. Believe I got the book a couple of years ago from the Barnes and Noble Old Books section. Of interest, Wood, a powerful man, used only single-handed rods of 12' length, but it was said he could use a 16' single hander and not tire during a day of fishing for his beloved Cairnton salmon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts