Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of minutes ago thanks to my Trophy Bride helping me, we developed tennis elbows in successfully separating the two very stuck together sections of my 10151.

I had tried heat, hot water, hot paks, sun on the female section and ice paks/cubes on the male section and all of the other advise, and nothing worked. I used about 2 ice cube trays and reused the freezeable and heatable packs several times.

This morning the rod was cold, and we heated water to pour on the female section, and I then we couldn't pull it apart.

Then my wife put on a set of my fishing gloves with the rubber dots for grips she gripped the section with the female ferrule which was still a little warm. I gripped the other section with one of the rubbermaid lid openers.

She tried to turn clockwise, and I turned the rod and her counter clockwise. However, there was about a 1/8 of an inch of rotation in the ferrules. So we reset and did the same turning procedure. This time there was a 1/4 inch of rotation. The third time it came apart with a very audible pop. The pop meant that the seal had been airtight.

It was about 90 plus degrees in the sun when I used the beeswax and the quarter turn of the ferrules while casting earlier this week. After casting for about an hour, I laid the rod down on the dock about 1.5 feet from the cooler river to cast my 7141. The outdoor temp had dropped about 90 plus to the high 70's when I quit casting and tried to separate the sections.

That rapid change of temperature must have sealed the two sections together with the combo of the bees wax and the quarter turn twist of the sections.

Tuesday I used the beeswax without the quarter turn on my new Meiser rod and my old 7136, and I had no problem separating them inspite of a similiar temp situation.

I guess the lesson is, don't use both bees wax and the quarter turn of the sections if there is potential temp drop.

Thanks for all of the advise. I darn near had a 3 piece rod instead of a 4 piece rod.:hehe:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
happy again

Glad you were able to get it apart with help. In my case I put the rod together in the dark (cold) then the day warmed up. It was time to go to town and I was unable to get any section apart, so I took the reel off, left the rod in the rack and drove to town. Apparently highway wpeed for 20 minutes or so cooled things off enough that the sections came apart rather easily.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
t_richerzhagen

Ted, the temp changes in both of our cases probably set up the stuck ferrules.

In my situation it was hot, and I used the bees wax and the quarter turn to connect the sections. That probably enabled the male ferrule end to get higher than normal in the female ferrule, and not enough length re the bees wax on the male ferrule. When I laid the rod down on the pier to cast my 7141, we went through a temp drop and the rod was cooler by being over a cooler river. This enabled a super vacuum to be created.

Finally pouring hot water over the female ferrule on the cold rod enabled my wife and I to twist the sections off. We both heard the pop when the sections finally parted. There was still bees wax on the male end of the ferrule but obviously it was not long enough to ease the ferrule out after the temp changes.

It was a frustrating and learning experience.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Guys

The only time I can remember being unable to get a rod apart, I hadn't used wax. Jimmy Green, a man whos knowledg I respect completely, threatened my life if I didn't use wax in the future and warned me to use only peraffin and never bee's wax. He explained, bee's wax is almost as bad as gluing the thing togeather. Not quite ready to end it all, I never use bee's wax, so I never tested it. Have you ever tried Peraffin and if so, do you find any difference?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use parrafin, seems to work just fine. Bee's wax is very sticky, parrafin isn't nearly as sticky. Bee's wax is also very expensive, parrafin... cheap.

Doug

ps I've only used my spey rod 2 times now so I'm not about to write the bible on "how to".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts