Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so excited! After purchasing 50s/60s era 3⅜", 3½" and 4" Hardy Perfects over the past couple of years (and selling the 4" to another SP member - thanks @Trouter925 - to pay for this), I finally got the opportunity to buy this gorgeous 4" Pre-War fishing reel. I'm not a collector but I do love the Perfect model for fishing and especially the version with the line guard. This was from @xgolfman - Paul Dudley's collection of gear and I'm thrilled, on several levels, to own it.

According to the attached file from one of our members here on SP (sorry but I can't remember who originally posted this - I'd love to know and thank you if you happen to read this 😜) this reel dates to between 1920 and 1928. It was originally made and badged internally for Von Lengerke and Detmold of NYC which was purchased by and renamed to Abercrombie and Fitch in 1928. So the reel is definitely pre 1929 and it is stamped Duplicated Mark II which narrows it down to post 1920 as does the black handle.

This is the jewel in my collection of Hardy reels (fishing reels, not collectables). Prior to this purchase, my favourite was my 4¼ Pre-War Uniqua. Some day I'd also like to have a 3½, a 3¾, a 4¼ and a 4½ - all pre-war with the line guard - not even sure if they all came with a line guard but that's my dream 🙏🏻.

I get why so many members on this forum have so many of these reels in their collections. They are beautiful pieces of kit and are a joy to fish with and to look at and hold. I'm geeking out over this. I can see that this is a very deep and expensive rabbit hole that I'm peering into but hey, there are worse things one can spend one's hard earned cash on, no?

I also fish with several Marquis models, namely the #7 multiplier, the #8/9 multiplier and the Salmon series No1, No2 and No3. The 8/9 multiplier was the first "real" fly reel that I bought back in the late 70s, when I lived in Calgary. I bought it from a shop called The Fishin' Hole (some of you may even remember that shop). I've always loved that reel and the Marquis series has held a special place in my heart ever since but, since I started Spey Casting a few years ago, the Perfect has worked its way in there and usurped that special place (don't worry Marquis, I still love you and I always will).

Anyway, I just wanted to share my excitement and joy over finally owning (and fishing) this beautiful piece of fishing history.

Thanks for looking.

Frank

Attachments

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
All things Cane and old clicker reels ......
1,108 Posts
Very Coll Frank ……. Welcome to the obsession. Its a wonderful reel with some cool history

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats....I know this vintage reel’s going to enhance the pleasures of speying on your favourite water.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim
Thanks Jim. Maybe some day I'll have a small version of your collection 🤞🏻
Very Coll Frank ……. Welcome to the obsession. Its a wonderful reel with some cool history
Thanks David. It truly is a wonderful obsession!
Awesome! These types of reels are not my cup of tea, but I definitely get your excitement!!!!! Congrats! It looks in great shape! (y)
Thanks Simon.
Beauty Frank. I'm glad I could contribute towards the cause...:LOL:!
Thanks Earl. You definitely helped make this happen 👍🏻
Very nice. Hope it’s the first of many. The VL&A plate adds to it.
Thanks, I thought so too. A little piece of Hardy (and Abercrombie) history.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Fantastic!!! You're one lucky guy to score this reel. Just be careful while fishing it, especially when traversing rocky boulders. Again, fantastic! Rob

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fantastic reel Frank, and thanks for reposting the shot from the book. Very informative.
Thanks Jeff! And I'm happy to share the Hardy Reel info page. Glad you found it informative. I know I sure did. I refer to it constantly 😜
Fantastic!!! You're one lucky guy to score this reel. Just be careful while fishing it, especially when traversing rocky boulders. Again, fantastic! Rob
Thanks Rob! I feel very fortunate to have gotten this reel. Whenever I'm moving from place to place on a river I always put the neoprene reel case over the reel for that very reason. Learned that the hard way a few years ago 😜.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts