Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....finally did it. Loaded up the Loop 3W with a 8/9 Midspey.....took the wrapper off of the cork on a blue line Loop rod and met up with Bruce K on the Columbia.

Thanks very much Bruce.....you are a great teacher. Found myself sitting on the couch tonight with the bottom half of the rod going through the motions again. I still cannot get over how much line you can lay out with a single move

Also cannot get over how much a # 2 Wooly Bugger going 80 mph can hurt when it hits you in the back of the head.....had to reach back and see if there was blood......there wasn't any.....I have been told that Norwegian's heads are too hard to bleed.

At any rate I just wanted to extend my thanks to Bruce K for all his patience and guidance today....you made the learning curve a lot less steep.

Paul

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,913 Posts
Hey Paul, thanks for your kind words. You are a very keen student and I know that it wont be long until you are outcasting me. You definatlly picked it up quicker than anyone I have ever seen before, Awsome!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah haaaaa

Now I know your handle of this forum too...

Seriously Bruce thanks again.

Damn it all anyway....now I want to do it again so bad that I just know I will be dreaming about it........

Now I know what Fred Evans meant....I have already been on the Loop site looking at the longer rods.

By the way, that CND was a VERY nice rod....I have never held a rod that was 16'7" before, and yet it felt very forgiving of mistakes.....and I made lots.

Can't wait to try the other rods at the Castlegar Symposium

Thanks Bruce.

Talk to you.....reallllllllllllllll soon

Jake

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Get used to it ...

Also cannot get over how much a # 2 Wooly Bugger going 80 mph can hurt when it hits you in the back of the head.....

Two possibilities: Your rods to vertical (sp tonight sucks) or you're got an up stream wind. Add a too vertical rod and your toast.
:eyecrazy:

Another reason I usually where 'heavy duty' chest waders. At least a large portion of your body has 'armor.'

:hehe:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Reasons

It was a bad one handed habit....yes the rod was too vertical....and secondly it was on a left bank with a downstream wind.....I was making a cast .....hmmmm....I think Bruce called it a single snake spey ?????.....I can't remember.....so much in the head today. At any rate the line was downstream...left bank with a ddownstream wind...and when the line was cast 90 degrees out and across thats when the bugger attacked. Next time the line will be on my left side with a wind like that.

But that's what I like about taking up a new avenue in fly fishing....you are never too old to stop learning.

Like a friend of mine said about being an old dog

" I may not be able to fetch sticks anymore....but I can still bury a bone"........(get your mind out of the gutter)......its a metaphor I think.....just saying that we never forget the basics

Jake

1 - 5 of 5 Posts