Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Filson

About 35 years ago I bought the Filson strap vest which is pretty minimal but adequate for steelhead. There is just no way to wear them out. They are really built well and after being dunked and piled up and washed and whatever look about the same although faded as they did originally. I don't use a vest any more (couple shirt or raincoat pockets and couple zip locs now..... but I have the Grandson wearing it and the old cool factor is right up there. He is happy to wear something that I used so many years.
I don't have the full vest but for steel heading felt I just needed the strap one.
Loren

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David1123

Does anyone use the conventional Filson vest? I'm currently using the Fishpond Water dance pack. The pack is well designed, but the strap really digs into my shoulder. My wife has the same complaint.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
I don't have any experience with Filson but I think they are super cool. I use Outrange chest pack that has some storage room in the back. I wear it everywhere I go. Its very slim and light and I have my rain jacket in the back at all times, room for lunch, bottle, fly box, and tip wallet. I find myself in need to take of a layer or two when day progresses so I need some sort of storage for that. This pack works very well without bulk of backpack. Outrage is C&F trademark and I believe they can still be had in Euro but it was worth it for me. Pack is slim up front and can be worn high on chest and it doesn't restrict spey casting like some other chest packs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
14 years ago I bought a Filson Flyfishing Guide Vest. the vest stores WAY too much stuff therefore it is PERFECT! (FOR ME ). My rods and reels have changed but the Filson remains.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,079 Posts
I've used several Filson Vests

Currently have the All Weather Strap Vest. I like it except I put too much stuff in it. When I'm fishing by myself, I'd better know the stream and should leave a lot of fly boxes at home. It doesn't breath very well, so it is warm to wear in the summer.

I've had the conventional style vest, but thought it way too heavy and hot. Maybe in the high mountains or PNW it would be ok, but not a good choice for the midwest.

The smaller belt types are good for minimalist applications.

·
Hacker
616 Posts
14 years ago I bought a Filson Flyfishing Guide Vest. the vest stores WAY too much stuff therefore it is PERFECT! (FOR ME ). My rods and reels have changed but the Filson remains.
Same here. I love mine. I have tried chest packs and not for me. Love my filson. Built like a tank.

·
Administrator
2,471 Posts
I traded for an old Filson Strap Vest and it's incredibly cool. Wouldn't wear it personally with a spey rod, but will be all over it on the river or streams with the single hander. Just putting it on sort of "takes me back". Relaxing just to wear it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have both the full vest and the strap vest, and like them a lot. Top notch quality. However, I can't say I use them much at all, unfortunately. I just don't wear vests anymore, even when using a single hander. One of these days I'll get to posting them for sale on the classifieds.

I do use the Filson waist pack alot, and love it. Small enough to ensure I don't bring too much crap to the river. Like all Filson packs, super durable and I'm sure one of my boys or daughter will inherit it and it will still be totally usable.

·
Hacker
616 Posts
Same here. I love mine. I have tried chest packs and not for me. Love my filson. Built like a tank.
I only use mine with my single hand rods for trout, do not use anything but the pocket in my waders with my two handers for steelhead.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Depends on what rod I'm using

Like the others, I have a Filson Strap that I use with single hand rods. I use an Orvis Bandoleer Sling with my 2 handed rods and slip it around to my back when I'm not actually accessing it to keep it out of my way. I can wade deep with it and not get everything wet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts