Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Moderators have discussed this issue with the site owners and the IT Guys.
Word on the street is scammers like this is on the rise across all legitimate sites, which I agree with since both my wife and youngest daughter have brought to my attention even their Instagram have been "hacked" much like this.

The rules have been changed to all members with a post count of "0" will no longer be able to use any of the messaging systems here:

1. No Private Messages (PM's)
2. No Visitor Messages
3. No Email to Members through Speypages

All new members must make a post in the New Member Forum that needs to be approved by a Moderator or Administrator, no exceptions.

A word of caution to our members here, if it looks suspicious, it is. If a new member, or a member with a post count of "0" ask you for something, do not oblige. I know it will be tough for our community, since everyone here is about sharing. However if someone wants to fast track, that means their not here for the community and will have no investment here. In other words, no proof of wanting to be legitimate or being a part of this community.

Also, we ask our members here to not post their email addresses or phone numbers any more. I know some have posted emails that cannot be copied and pasted into an address, but that only protects from "BOTS". These new scammers actually have a face or some very technical code. Just don't take the chance. The more diligent everyone is here, the less chance this site will be a target.

If a scammer comes across here, please report it. Whether the message is posted in a thread or through a private message. Reported threads and messages get looked at quickly by Moderators, we get a notification.

Thank you for your understanding and tight lines and thread wraps :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Wow Mike, all things considered a really fast response to this latest issue. Well done you guys behind the scenes!

Now I guess we wait to see what the info thieves come up with next.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Can we confirm that new users still cannot send private messages with 0 posts? I may have encountered a scammer...

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can we confirm that new users still cannot send private messages with 0 posts? I may have encountered a scammer...
Not sure if that function still exists with the new changes.
Send me a copy of the PM with the the members name and I will look into it for you.
Thanks,

Mike

·
Recovering Engineer
24 Posts
@GR8LAKES FLYER I am pretty sure the same user attempted to scam me, as attempted to scam @kenobione . How can I go about forwarding a "conversation" with the new software? I can just post the user name here if that gets it done, whatever works...

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
While there may be some new protections for covert attacks in the new software, it seems clear that the painstakingly worked out protections against overt scamming, like not being allowed to post classifieds, etc. from a newly created account with almost no prior activity were all simply removed. That can’t be good!

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree.
While some may not see the value in having these measures in place, I see it as protecting our community.
If it was solely up to me, a member would need to have a minimum of 100 posts or be a member for at least 6 months. It may be an inconvenience to some, but in truth, this community would then have someone who really wants to be here and participate.

Mike

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dak656 - just copy/paste the message along with the username and send me a PM please.

Mike

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you both for reporting this member, they will not be contacting anyone here anymore ;)
I cannot stress enough, how important it is to report suspicious activity. The moderators and admins can't help if we don't know. We don't mind looking into things for anyone here, that's what we do :)

Mike

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for stepping up! While I have been fortunate enough in all my dealings to not have been scammed here, I have lost money on other platforms. I also have an interest in watches, and as a member on a prominent watch forum in my home country there are a few simple things that I think they have done well.

1. No-one is allowed to post in the Classified section until they have exceeded 50 regular posts. (used to be 20)
2. Posts are never deleted in the classified section, only changed to sold (thus searchable)
3. There is a seperate forum thread called "Goodguys/Badguys" which every member starts in his own name. Other members can go and post there and share any experience they have had in dealing with them. That way if people are happy, they can recommend each other.

Tight lines everyone!

·
PNW Coleton
49 Posts
One potential new scammer, frankwehlberg. In the event they are an honest angler I wish them the best, but I received a very suspicious message re: my WTB and the user is new. [mention]frankwehlberg [/mention]

Admins, can you please block? I can forward the message text.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
I don’t see what the problem is with at the very least reinstating the old restrictions. Their removal was a kind of accident due to the software update, as far as I understand. The software is supposed to be adaptable to all kinds of sites, and there are plenty of other sites that have membership restrictions based on subscription level, etc. Some sites don’t even let you read the posts without registering, and some require further intros after that to post yourself. I’m not saying we need anything like that. But there was an obvious need for the minor restrictions we had, and without them it seems we are at the top of the feeding list. Caveat emptor is fine, but managing the messaging and posting privileges intelligently are the LEAST that can be done to make things a bit safer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi, not sure of the protocol for this. This is just FYI in case you need to block these new members.

Shortly after posting a WTB post in the classifieds section i received a solicitation/conversation from a new member "earlboen232" telling me that his friend ([email protected] com) had the item I was looking for and i should contact him directly. I ignored the conversation because it seemed like a scam, then a few days later I received the exact same message from another new member "colinsalmon541" telling me to contact the same email address.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Same thing happened to me as well, always ere in the side of caution

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Unfortunately that one is the very platonic form of the scam that has been going around: no posts, only private messages, it’s always a “friend” and always tries to get you off the site as fast as possible. Refusing to take full on verifiable PayPal and that’s the scam hat trick.

durandkevin202 sure has a lot of friends looking out for him.:mad:

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Always look at the post count and when the user registered. Never reply to these scammers ... most importantly, do not email them!!
We are trying to stop these guys, but it seems some do get through the cracks ... so many online scammers these days. They must have a IP Address generator or something.

Please report all suspicious activities.

Mike

·
Registered
319 Posts
Botsari,

I just ran into that recently. The guy wanted " Friends and Family" Paypal only even when I agreed to pay the service charges. He disappeared w/o a word when i held my ground.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi. Someone says to buy a stuff and after receiving my email address refuses to communicate. Is this some kind of scam? I tried twice to contact but he is refusing to talk. It shows him to be seen couple times already. Can you guys check into it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts