Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first topic post. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and research into blank tapers and actions per application, it seems data is sparse or really tightly kept. I’m hoping to find a double handed rod for more delicate presentations and am hoping glass might be the solution.

In looking across several manufacturers, I know there are some glass makers that cross into the 2H realm (Seele, Echo) I’ve looked at CTS, but haven’t been able to find many more glass blank manufacturers. There are a few Chinese options, and of course ARE had some... just no indication if that resource will ever make its way back.

Hoping someone can provide some info on some other 2H glass blank options.

Realistically, I know it’s a stretch, but I’m looking for a 12’ 6/7wt - CTS has this, but I’m hoping to explore the options... if any

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would love to see some affordable glass blanks in the 11’-12’ 5-8wt range. I really enjoyed the echos when I had them and the ARE blanks are a ton of fun. The only Thing I didn’t like about my echo glass rods were the up locking reel seats. Glass two hangers are a ton of fun. Going up at least one weight size helped me with fighting the fish.

Andrew

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a 7 wt switch rod built on a McFarland glass blank by Shane Wolf. The blank is an advanced version of the same McFarland blank used in the Seele rods that are no longer on offer. Its pricey.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,103 Posts
Bob Meiser posted a short while back that, I believe it was, Steve Godshall was playing with glass/graphite combinations. Mix and matching from but to tip. I haven't heard anymore though but sounds interesting. Glass on the lower end with graphite towards the tip would be a killer stick I think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob Meiser posted a short while back that, I believe it was, Steve Godshall was playing with glass/graphite combinations. Mix and matching from but to tip. I haven't heard anymore though but sounds interesting. Glass on the lower end with graphite towards the tip would be a killer stick I think.
Absolutely! I hope someone chimes in on those.

About the earlier notes, I looked at Echo’s site,didn’t see any blank optionS. Am I just missing it? I wouldn’t be opposed to stripping one down to the blank and rebuilding to suit.

Also, I looked at the epic options, again, I only saw the complete build and not the blanks, which in the 12’ + range only appear to be carbon graphite blanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't think you can go far wrong with the Echo glass rods.

I have the 12'9" 7wt, and its a delightful rod to cast and fish with.

There is also a 12'4" 6wt.

Both are no longer made I believe, but they do come up second hand.

·
Registered
404 Posts
James Green has some blanks that folks like 7wt 10ft and 5/6 10ft. More of a switch length, but his tapers are really cool. Rolled in the US or Japan I think.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is a photo of switch rod 11' 3-4 wt 250-300 grains fiberglass ARE blank built by Steve Goodshal in 2016. Lots of fun for trout and small steelhead.

IMG_0200 fiberglass spey rod.jpg

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
462 Posts
Hi, first topic post. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and research into blank tapers and actions per application, it seems data is sparse or really tightly kept. I’m hoping to find a double handed rod for more delicate presentations and am hoping glass might be the solution.

In looking across several manufacturers, I know there are some glass makers that cross into the 2H realm (Seele, Echo) I’ve looked at CTS, but haven’t been able to find many more glass blank manufacturers. There are a few Chinese options, and of course ARE had some... just no indication if that resource will ever make its way back.

Hoping someone can provide some info on some other 2H glass blank options.

Realistically, I know it’s a stretch, but I’m looking for a 12’ 6/7wt - CTS has this, but I’m hoping to explore the options... if any
If you are looking for a delicate presentation, I would suggest you look at a cane rod for use with a silk line. A 12 ft spliced Sharpes 8 wt with a silk line will perform a delicate greased line presentation which is my preferred technique for dry and wet flies.
Regards from the Restigouche .... Jim

·
Brockton
477 Posts
I have done pretty extensive research in this area. For blanks in current production your options are McFarland, CTS, and James Green. They are all top shelf and not cheap.

The Echos pop up occasionally on here and on EBay but you have to be fast and the prices aren’t going down.

The Epic 13ft blanks mentioned above are graphite.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are looking for a delicate presentation, I would suggest you look at a cane rod for use with a silk line. A 12 ft spliced Sharpes 8 wt with a silk line will perform a delicate greased line presentation which is my preferred technique for dry and wet flies.
Regards from the Restigouche .... Jim View attachment 375505
Working on cane ;) Not this year but maybe in the next couple...For one or both of the Cascapedia's not far from RRL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have done pretty extensive research in this area. For blanks in current production your options are McFarland, CTS, and James Green. They are all top shelf and not cheap.

The Echos pop up occasionally on here and on EBay but you have to be fast and the prices aren’t going down.

The Epic 13ft blanks mentioned above are graphite.
Thanks, did not have James Green on the radar at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check out Anglers Roost
I have 13ft 7/8 glass for the price I was so surprised by this rod.
When casting this rod it is how slow can you go.
I have land big fish on this rod KIMG0996.JPG KIMG0991.JPG

·
Brockton
477 Posts
One option that just occurred to me is to keep your eyes open for some vintage British rods. Hardy, Farlow, Bruce & Walker, etc. They all made salmon and sea trout rods in 10ft-14ft, the longer ones are usually build for 2 hand use and the shorter ones are made for single hand but could be rebuilt.

·
Registered
Pieroway MD510, MD400
116 Posts
Pieroway has a three Carboglass Rods. I have only used the Metal Detector Spey Rods, which are absolutely wonderful rods and I have no doubt their carboglass are just as nice. The price point is also amazing!

6B52353F-D44C-4968-A342-1EEED4520CEF.jpeg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts